• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pregnant Doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? Hadn't figured that out....

NO SH¥T!

How does that explain what your bragging about the bucks on your wall has to do with the o.p. shooting a pregnant doe?
ITS CALL MANAGMENT..OF YOUR HERD,,YOU WILL GET THOSE PICTURES RESULTS..ITS PROOF NOT BRAGGING...ITS OK TO SHOOT DOES ,its ok dont feel bad.FEELS WRONG BUT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO..THERE BETTER EATING.WAKE UP coffes done

ITS CALL MANAGMENT..OF YOUR HERD,,YOU WILL GET THOSE PICTURES RESULTS..ITS PROOF NOT BRAGGING...ITS OK TO SHOOT DOES ,its ok dont feel bad.FEELS WRONG BUT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO..THERE BETTER EATING.WAKE UP coffes done

Attachments

• 101_0536.JPG
    101_0536.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 38
"LIKE I said dont feel bad..YOUR JEALOUS"

"ITS CALL MANAGMENT..OF YOUR HERD"

I hunt and I raise cattle.

When it is time to butcher beef for the freezer, I do not load up the biggest bull in the field to turn it in to hamburger meat.

It's called management of the heard as pointed out.

And now back to the OP and his question.

Too many doe,s creates a second rut because of the buck-doe ratio and all the does not getting bred creates the second rut which is BAD management if it happens. You need to keep the does shot off..if thats happening....Shooting a pregnant doe it depends on the ratio in your area..and factors of winter kill and coyotees killing fawns,,lots of factors play into the ratio.Use you best judgement on the herd/crop maintainance for your area.2 year old does should get bred if its right in the ratio. I kill the white face does with no fawns ive seen run the same path for years until she has n fawn with her. Fawns 8 month old ones are expendable if theres 2 also..They Can get shot...the old does will have more food and be more than likely to throw 2 more fawns.
I know a
Yes, probably a third of the does I take. The fetus is easy to miss, because as you said, it's a big ol mess that just gets dumped to the side
I don't look or pay attention the reason for doe tags or permits is for benefits of deer herds to many deer in some places Tennessee joined other states with the CWD problems and they are trying to get the herds thinned to stop spreading if you shoot a pregnant doe you thinned two or three from future herd I'm a meat and recreation hunter I shoot what I want does usually taste better anyway . Unfortunately in Tennessee and other states thinning want happen because it's all private and leased and most of them don't want to thin the herds they might loose a trophy in there eyes. Mother nature is I guess a good way to put it will eventually take care of the thinning

One of the main reasons to shoot does at the very first of season is to get them off the food source and leave it for the rest of the deer. One of the most stressful times for deer is late Dec., Jan. and Feb, when a lot of the food has been depleted. Bucks are run down and need all the food they can find to survive.

Well, it's a future buck, but taking deer out of the picture for next year, reduces browsing competition, improving everything from songbird nesting habitat which is reduced by overbrowsing, creates a decrease in food for predators, making it more difficult for their litters to survive as their weaning coincides with the fawn crop, and by a reduction in browsing competition with a thinner herd, you have better nutrients for the deer you do have, which amounts to greater growth and development in the younger bucks, getting their bone densities ahead of the game for the following year when his body begins devoting less nutrients to bone growth and filling out his spindly frame and begins having more of these nutrients left over for greater antler devolopment.

So, in short, you did cause a reduction in next years fawn crop, but you also strengthened your little section of the habitat...and if it was a buck fawn, it wouldn't have ended up living on your property anyway, since you have the fact that the majority of yearling bucks get driven out of their home range by the maternal doe herd and end up relocating up to 3 miles in an aspect of deer behavior that conveniently, yet unbeknownst to the deer theirselves, prevents imbreeding in future years and further strengthens their gene pool (i call it intelligent design, although biologists don't). So it's not like that buck would was likely to have ended up residing on your property in the long run...sometimes things that are sad on the small scale, end up good overall.
Very well put:thumb:

Yes. There are usually fawns in the mature does.
I just kinda looked around in the gut pile and saw an organ I guessed was the womb.
Sliced it open an saw twin fawns about 4 " long.

I did that once. I really don't need to see that again. Getting soft in my old age!
I'm only 43 and getting soft hearted, so do not feel bad about it. It means you have a heart.

Dutch, no nervers were struck, just observations and opinions, but one thing is for sure we can all agree too dis-agree. I dis-agree with the shooting of does but others see o.k. with it, thats the way it is. LUCK is with those that do and would hunt with me it would be there last hunt with me now. I hunted with my dad near on 55 years, if it was brown it was dead for him, the area we hunted had a very healthy deer population but after about 8-9- years of brown and down you were lucky too see a buck over a fork horn, he and I discussed the situation, and he started too let the does and smaller bucks walk, the mountain sprang back, too the glory days of big bucks, last 5 years the smallest buck I shot there was a big, wide 7 with heavy main beams and I watched him for 5 days hunting before deciding too kill him, since then 8 points or better and no scrub bucks, been very fortunate never hunted and not harvested what I was looking for. No bragging just observations on deer hunting.

Back