• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pregnant Doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else ever come across this?
Yes.
No harm, No foul.
Deer are a managed population in every state, with harvest allotments being determined by a myriad of gathered data.
It's not unusual at all..
Congrats to your neighbor for his harvest. I hope he shares some of the loin with you,, ;)

I never have.
My daughter asked me when I was skinning my last one here if this doe had babies in her and I said idk I never checked.
I never even thought about looking for a small fawn in one in the past ..
My immediate response to her was "You know even if there was, things have to die for us to live"
I also went on to explain, with her watching me skin and butcher multiple deer each year, that though it may seem normal to her, it's not the normal.
I also said a lot of people don't like it but they pay for people to do their slaughtering and butchering and don't give the process any thought, and that's called ignorance.

I shot a doe last spring on a depredation hunt, and in the gut pile was a large unfamiliar organ. We guessed it was the womb but none of us wanted to cut it open to find out. Big enough for twins. That's an image you wouldn't be able to "unsee." Land owner was happy I got the doe and "prevented" one or two more. We have a big deer population on the islands, and with rampant development they are being crowded into what forest remains.

where I live there are to many politics to hunt. have a license, then need special permits from the local governments to use the "public lands" by the time you look at the spotty days that you can hunt, you get a day at this spot a day at that spot, and then hunting season is over. I work for myself so I can create my own schedule. Imagine the people who work for an employer, they will be lucky to get 1 day.
That is the reason the Deer population is so large in this area with stunted growth. welcome to the WDC/Southern MD area
I have seen fetus deer hunting in the past living in WI , but that was with the extended bow season.
I do not hunt here due to the politics.

MY pro pic is real ,,perfect catagory less than 11 points boone n crocket deductions.I live for deer n hunting life of whitetails changing my life to do the ultimate pursuit.40 years never going without a 8 point plus bigger.I know the deer
this years dec 2021
And this is relevant to a discussion of finding a shot doe to be pregnant, how?
Even after translating what you wrote, I don't understand what it has to do with,,,, well,,,, anything.

Ulk 77, not so in the western region of Md. ,buy a license go hunting, the closer you get to the metro areas the more difficult it is I guess, I stay away from those areas too many yahoos. I know some hunters in that area and they kill some dandy sized deer, guess its all in ones perspective.

Nice buck there hunter thompson. I am a horn hunter also, if I had too kill deer too eat guess I would drop a doe now and then but it would be early in the season. As you I have been very fortunate in the deer hunting business pass more small racked deer than most hunters probally see in there life time. The actual reason for the late doe seasons are economics driven bye insurance companies in my opinion, Animals have been self regulating way before man came on the scene.

"Animals have been self regulating way before man came on the scene."

Yes, I agree, but man is on the scene and the landscape has changed drastically with our land use activities. Ohio and Indiana were once 90% forested, 10% grassland. That is reversed since the felling of the forests and tilling of the ground. Game paths and Indian travel routes are now county roads and state highways. The deer herd has far exceeded the local and national estimates of what they once were before domesticated crops replaced acorns as the main food source. Deer are edge animals and foragers from everything I've learned about them. Our Midwest landscapes are mainly edge habitats, that swell the population, as heavy forest is not as conducive to hold a large number of deer. In Appalachia this may not be the case. Having never hunted the region, only driven through on my motorcycle, it is obvious that the high yield crops are overshadowed by beautiful mountains and wooded hills. I am sure my hunting methods would need to be revised to be successful. Here, in SW Ohio I have some folks that ask me to hunt their property because, even with does taken and encouraged to be taken by the ODNR the herd keeps growing.

As for our tender sensibilities, we all have the one thing we won't do because it is distasteful to our way of thinking. Shooting a doe that has already conceived is one of those for some hunters. I get it and agree with your decision not to shoot a doe after the rut. Mine is to wantonly shoot coyotes in the Spring while they are raising their pups. I've gone after them with a passion in past years throughout the Fall and Winter, but once pup season hits I saw no sport or need, unless they were destroying a farmer's livestock or threatening pets. We can shoot coyotes year around, I choose not to. I actually enjoy knowing they are here and respect their tenacity. But I'll hunt and shoot them this time of year.

Hunter Thompson, I can appreciate your input as I've shot some rather nice bucks over the years, yet I am not a trophy hunter. You've learned how the deer population functions best when the harvest needs are met, which creates even better opportunities for you to target the big racked bucks. Yes, doe management has much to do with this. How you communicated this may not have been as polished as some could receive but you made your point quite understandable for those of us who are open to listening to other's opinions. Thank you.

"The actual reason for the late doe seasons are economics driven bye insurance companies in my opinion"

Can you please explain?

Not sure why insurance company's would be pushing for late doe seasons. What is their concern over pregnant deer?

How do they tell a pregnant deer from a non?

Last edited:
"The actual reason for the late doe seasons are economics driven bye insurance companies in my opinion"

Can you explain?

Not sure why insurance company's would be worried about pregnant deer? How do they tell a pregnant deer from a non?
People banging up their BMWs has made the illuminati coerce the insurance company's to coerce the game commissions to have late doe shooting seasons.

😉

People banging up their BMWs has made the illuminati coerce the insurance company's to coerce the game commissions to have late doe shooting seasons.

😉

Huh, guess they warn the bucks to stay out of the road ways, makes sense.

You learn something new here all the time.

Going to call my insurance agent to see if they are providing bounty's on pregnant does.

Huh, guess they warn the bucks to stay out of the road ways, makes sense.

You learn something new here all the time.

Going to call my insurance agent to see if they are providing bounty's on pregnant does.
I'm sure you realize my answer was somewhat "tongue in cheek."
I think the theory is that reducing the doe population will reduce the deer population which will reduce the number of vehicle vs. deer accidents.
But,,,, I still don't buy into insurance company's influencing game management. Sounds like conspiracy b.s. to me.

"I'm sure you realize my answer was somewhat "tongue in cheek."

Yep, I do.

Unfortunately, he was serious.

Yep he was, check into the deer collisions in your state then multiply that bye cost too insurance companies, the statement was not made in refrence too just pregenant does but deer in general, I should assume that the auto insurance companies would perfer that all deer were eridacted from the system, lets see DNR re-introducing top tier predators into the system hows that working, bear seasons in states that has not had those seasons in years, actually improving the populations and not having no major effect on the deer populations. It has been discussed in other posts I do not kill doe deer, and do not agree with it, if thats the only way you can kill a deer have at it. I am sure this has ruffled some feathers and I stand bye my assumptions.

Personal choice thing, but I won't shoot a fawn (yearling) and I won't shoot a doe with a fawn, regardless of the season. I'm getting to the point where I'd let a spike buck walk during gun season, especially if I have filled a bow or muzzleloader tag. Don't know that I've ever shot a pregnant doe, and don't need to see that.

If I were starving, maybe a different story. But, until then, I'd rather take a trip to the store. I can also count on 1 hand, the number of does I've shot in 40+ years of hunting. I've been extremely lucky in seeing bucks in an area where deer of any kind are scarce.

Back