• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Preferred Cleaning Patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a half a bag left of 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 military cotton small arms cleaning patches I have been using for quite a few years. They have worked well.
Ohio Rusty ><>

When I am shooting, I use doubled up paper towels to swab between each shot. They are compressible and readily absorb any water moisture formed in the barrel. Flannel patches will work also but they have to be washed a couple of times to allow them to absorb cleaners readily.

When I clean up at the end of a shoot, I use flannel patches as they hold up better for scrubbing.
The toughest paper towels for staining wood, polishing, using moist, etc., are the Bounty. They just hold up almost like real cloth.

I'm pretty much the same as what most everyone has already posted.
I pick up any most any pre-cut patches I see on sale or clearance.
I have also purchased white flannel on sale from JoAnns and Hobby Lobby which I cut up with a rotary cutter.

Flannel baby blankets I get for a dollar each at a charity resell shop. The cleaning patches I cut from them have little pink balloons, little blue ponies, yellow stars, etc printed on them.
Not period correct but so far no one has called me out on it, or cast aspersions concerning my masculinity. I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

Some of the comments & suggestions I've read today obviously don't involve the use of a bore cleaning wire brush. Since 1992 (when I started ML'ing), I have never cleaned my bores using a cleaning jag. Never cleaned my bores using soap & water in a bucket.

Always used a brass brush, store-bought ML or centerfire cleaners and 2-1/2 or 3" bulk cotton patches (round or square) from a retailer.

I understand financial restraints are important to many here.
I get it. But I'm not shooting any more than about 150 rounds per year from all-3 MLs combined. That's why I choose to spend a little more - versus making my own patches and cleaning solution.

Besides, try getting flannel wrapped around a wire brush and try to get it down the barrel to clean it...... it's impossible. The patches I use have to be thin and somewhat strong, to work with a wire brush, which I prefer to clean the lands & grooves much more easily than a cleaning jag.

Jags are not a good cleaning friend of copper & lead residue. So many people sell their MLs eventually because they loose accuracy. Then a guy like me comes along and buys that used ML - only to find out the lands & grooves are loaded with copper & lead, which ultimately turned that grooved bore into a smoothbore.

I've bought several that way over the years. Prior owners used jags to clean it 24/7. Soap & water-only too.
Yikes!

Last edited:
Back