• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pre-measuring or a better method of measuring for revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2bp

40 Cal
Reaction score
The goal.... to get more consistent loads and be able to enjoy range time with minimal fiddling about with stuff.

So...

Without spending hundreds of dollars on spare cylinders or going down the rabbit hole of paper cartridges, how do y'all deal with being able to show up for range time and spend minimal time on the powder charging part of loading your revolvers?

I see I can get 5 or 10ml (so 60+ gr equiv volume, way more than I need but may be of interest to others) test tubes with stoppers or caps on Amazon, in plastic or glass. Would make it easy to throw a charge into 50 of 'em and go.

If I go this direction, is one material preferred over the other, other than the obvious safety issue of glass tubes going in my range bag?

I pre-measure my BP using small plastic vials with spin off tops which will hold 30 grains of BP. I also pre-measure my Cream Of Wheat. I do 50 vials of each. I store them in Plano Handgun cases designed to hold 41 Ma, 44 Mag and 45 Long Colt. I use plastic and no there is not a safety hazard from static electricity. Glass breaks when it is dropped on the cement.

It really simplifies loading, makes it easier to keep track of how many shots are fired in a match. It really pays of in Limited time Fire match where time is of the essence.

Another advantage that I learned is, I use small adjustable pistol powder measurers and when I started using vials I learned that at times, all the powder does not come out of the vial when pouring it. Learned where some of my low shots were coming from.

I use the loose powder, ball, lube wad method 75% of the time but I have the plastic snap cap vials which are integral with the body so you can't loose the tops. I have paper cartridges that I use if I take the gun out for a quick session in the backyard of my friends house.

Don't use glass - If you have a explosion you can get seriously hurt or hurt others - the plastic vials are the way to go if you use this method.

A friend uses small plastic tubes for his premeasured powder charges. He also uses plastic tubes for the premeasured cornmeal filler. Dump the powder, dump the filler, seat the .454 roundball in his .44 Remington. The chambers in his Remmy were all rebored. All chambers have the same dimensions. He used to shoot in competition.

It also helps to keep from dry balling your revolver. Layout your tubes, filler and balls.

The goal.... to get more consistent loads and be able to enjoy range time with minimal fiddling about with stuff.
So...
Without spending hundreds of dollars on spare cylinders or going down the rabbit hole of paper cartridges, how do y'all deal with being able to show up for range time and spend minimal time on the powder charging part of loading your revolvers?
I see I can get 5 or 10ml (so 60+ gr equiv volume, way more than I need but may be of interest to others) test tubes with stoppers or caps on Amazon, in plastic or glass. Would make it easy to throw a charge into 50 of 'em and go.
If I go this direction, is one material preferred over the other, other than the obvious safety issue of glass tubes going in my range bag?
You want to shoot and not fart around with measuring? We all do, but throw the measuring tubes away if you are shooting on a range and use a dispenser. It takes time to grab the tube and remove the stopper. Why not just dump the powder from a pre-measured drop dispenser?
There are different ones out there, but this one seems like it would do the trick. You would have to use an unmentionable casing to activate the dispenser. One could solder a handle on a large casing and then adjust the dispenser for the charge you desire. This one is adjustable from 1 to 80 grains.
I think Dixie Gun Works sell one that uses the black powder container for the powder storage.
Larry
Lee Auto-Drum Powder Measure with Bottle Adapter
  • Product #: 803372
Lee Auto-Drum Powder Measure with Bottle Adapter

List Price:$54.00
Our Price:
$45.99 $41.39
You Save:$4.60 (10%)
SHIPS FREE with $49
usa flag
Made in USA

How do you hold this measure? Do you clamp it to a handy table?

In the US you might get away with that, but most everywhere else it would be an instant no-no.

The chambers can be readily loaded w/o using pre-measured charges.

If you use a powder flask like this

HA0620.JPG

It will have a dispensing mechanism like this

NA0560.JPG

While a long spout can be cut shorter for the load you want to use, different lengths are commercially available

1247-mm.jpg

In use, the flask is held with the spout pointed down, a thumb tip placed against the tip to prevent powder spillage when the dispensing lever is cycled.

When the spout is filled, release the trigger to close off the powder flow, turn the flask so the spout is "up", remove your thumb from the tip & drop the charge into the chamber (or barrel, for a single-shot long or hand gun).

The chambers can be readily loaded w/o using pre-measured charges.

If you use a powder flask like this

HA0620.JPG

It will have a dispensing mechanism like this

NA0560.JPG

While a long spout can be cut shorter for the load you want to use, different lengths are commercially available

1247-mm.jpg

In use, the flask is held with the spout pointed down, a thumb tip placed against the tip to prevent powder spillage when the dispensing lever is cycled.

When the spout is filled, release the trigger to close off the powder flow, turn the flask so the spout is "up", remove your thumb from the tip & drop the charge into the chamber (or barrel, for a single-shot long or hand gun).

Prohibited here and in most other countries.

I'm currently loading from a powder flask. Throws inconsistent amounts and while it is a nice "correct-ish" accessory, and it technically works and is certainly better than nothing, it isn't working for *me*.

Ordered 100 5ml test tubes w/ built-in flip top caps. $12, free shipping via that jungle place they will be here before my powder arrives

When you load directly into a barrel or cylinder that has previously been fired you are taking a chance that a spark is still live. If that is the case and your charge is ignited you will have a bomb in your hand in the form of the flask or horn. Pour from powder container into a powder measure then into the barrel or cylinder. If it goes off all you are holding is what is in the measure.

Please explain to a noob like me what is prohibited.
thanks ,
Mitch

Many people consider a powder flask to be a potential bomb if there is a spark hiding in the chamber. Many ranges prohibit loading directly from the flask for this reason (also not allowed for many types of competition). It's certainly safe enough for a first loading, the risk is for reloads and that has resulted in the prohibition on their use at ranges and events.

edit... looks like several responded at once (and I type slow) so I guess I will add that I have tried various vials and containers to carry pre-measured charges. The handiest things I've found and used are little rubber tubes that you place the powder in then use the bullet to plug the end. Mine are called "Quick Charge" tubes and came from the old Winchester Sutler years ago. I believe Dixie still sells these or a similar product.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back