• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre measured main charge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oomcurt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Kinda curious if anyone does this..or is it even recommended. When hunting, would there be an advantage to prepackage if you will three or four main charges? What I'm thinking of is measuring out some charges and putting them in something like a small bottle like one would get from a pharmacy where pills came in. Seems it would be a quicker and easier way than using a powder measure in the bush, especially if the weather was bad or a second shot was needed quickly.

Kinda curious if anyone does this..or is it even recommended. When hunting, would there be an advantage to prepackage if you will three or four main charges? What I'm thinking of is measuring out some charges and putting them in something like a small bottle like one would get from a pharmacy where pills came in. Seems it would be a quicker and easier way than using a powder measure in the bush, especially if the weather was bad or a second shot was needed quickly.

Click this link...look at the top right section of the page...the "4-N-1 quick loader" is the handiest field reloader I've ever used

http://www.tcarms.com/catalog/pg44_cat31.jpg.php

I do it all the time.
I also have a bunch of test tubes with caps that I put pre-measured charges in for shooting at the range.
It cuts down on wasted powder also because you can save the powder dropped when you level the charge in the measure if you drop it on a piece of paper or something and put it back in the can. I alway's lose 3-4 grains of powder on the ground when measuring a charge outdoors.

Huntin

I have four speed loaders but I only put the powder in them and carry the projectiles in an altoid tin along with patch material or cleaning patches so they make no noise. Before I had the speed loaders I used plastic 35mm film containers. They really worked nice, especially the clear ones when you could see which one had powder still in them.

I've found speed loaders that were measured out years before in my hunting possible bag and they are still good to shoot...

Yes, many do so that they do not have to carry a horn around. After all how many shots are you going to get in a days time? I carry the gun loaded and four containers..

The concept goes back to musketeer times. Devices called Apostles

http://www.northamptons.org.uk/musket.html

were basically bottles or containers with measured charges in them.

Later, rolled (wax) paper cartridges

http://www.researchpress.co.uk/firearms/britain/enfield/enfieldcartridge07.htm

were carried in cartridge boxes

http://www.gggodwin.com/page2.htm

became the dominant method of carrying premeasured charges.

A modern carrying device is the EZ Loader listed above which works well on halfstocks, but do not work at all on some fullstocks. Another is a piece of clear plastic tubing plugged at both ends. Pull the plug from the powder end and dump it into the bore. Then pull the other plug and push the ball out with your ramrod and then into the bore. There are commercial (color coded by caliber) Kwik Loaders that work similar in concept.

Yes, there are several advantages in using premeasured charges. You do not need a powder measure, you have several containers in case one should become damp,(All of your powder is not in one basket) you can load more quickly, and you do not have to remember what charge goes with this situation.

Finally, I have gone into the woods and heard an odd sound -- sort of like dry rain. I would look down and find that my powder had escaped its confinement. Now, I carry both.

Now the question is, what period do you enjoy? This should drive your choice in how to carry your loads.

Are you sick of all of this yet?

I am making a small belt mounted cartridge box that will carry 5 hunting loads and can double as a shotgun shell carrier. It will have a replaceable block for my many sizes of calibers. I range from .40 to 11 gauge.

(Uh ohh -- I mentioned the unthinkable!!! -- I am swiftly pumping out my hundred pushups now !!!)

<G>

YMHS,
CrackStock

I have a bunch of small, plastic Nalgene bottles from a backpacking store, about 1/2" x 3" with a attached/hinged waterproof snap lid. They can hold up to 120 gr FFg but were sold for pills, condiments, etc. (I think the original use would have been medical samples of some type).

I've since kind of become too attached to my powderhorns to use the plastic tubes and now occasionally carry pre-measured shot charges in them.

yup it sure does work when needed fer that second shot....i use 35mm film containers....i have 3 of them that i taped together 2 each at the bottom with 2" masking tape....so i have 6 loads and a bullet block with my prb's in that hold 8 patched balls.................bob

I'd think sections of cane would be more period correct than plastic tubing or film cans. They would certainly hold any amount of powder, just select the segment from the top or bottom of the plant.

I recall reading a how-to article in either "Muzzleloader" or "Muzzle Blasts" using river cane for premeasured charges.

A cork plug was used to keep the container closed and a wire band was used on each end of the cane container to keep it from accidently splitting.

I use empty .12 ga. hulls with the crimp cut off and use a cork as a stopper. I take a large sewing needle and thread it with monofiliment fishing line(20#test), and tie a knot in one end then run from the bottom out through the top of the cork. Then i take black electrical tape and after tying a large knot in the other end of the line, tape it to the hull with just enough to pop the cork out and replace it. I use these when bird hunting for ducks, geese and doves where there may be a lot of shooting. I normally carry 10 with powder and 10 with shot. I use black colored hulls for powder and a different color hull for shot.

I use small plastic tubes with bottoms on them(look like shotgun shells). Load your charge,install patch and roundball into the top, squeeze bottom third and patch/ball come out. I use these on biathlon courses where you race against the clock, work great. :thumbsup:

I do Rev War reenactments and we roll paper cartridges for blanks. So, when I'm going hunting or target shooting, I just rollup some paper cartridges and put in the lead ball before adding the charge. Works just as well now as it did in 1777.

You can go to a coin dealer and get some of the clear tubes that holds dimes or pennies. :thumbsup:

For years I've made my own "quickies" out of wax paper (6" x 8" sheet) rolled 3 times around a 3/4" dowel- stapled approx 2/3rds up one end... fill the larger end with charge and staple end... place pre-lubed maxi ball in other end & staple... place a 1 1/2" hunk of Scotch tape in the middle loosely around a cap or two- and off you go.

When needed- simply tear charge end with teeth and pour... then tear maxi ball end with teeth...seat the ball over the charge- finally place cap on nipple from the Scotch tape and your ready. You only need one hand to place your makin's and you'll pick up the paper when your no longer rushed...

Works for me...P-C

I use a section of cane for some of mine too, with a cork plug. Never had a problem with them splitting but the wire around each end might be a good idea. I also use them for other things to: I keep a couple tacks and a small pencil in one for paper target shoots. I have another with a piece of white chalk in that I color my front sight when it starts to get dark while out hunting. They make a nice old timey looking little container.

Back