• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre 1840 ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Bickish

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen this statement on rendezvous flyers and wonder what it means? What happened in 1840 was that the year of percussion cap invention? The year computers were invented? Why pre 1840? does that mean flintlock only?

The last of the major beaver trade rendezvous was in 1839/1840 so most events tend to use that year as a cutoff date. Percussion guns will be ok for a pre-1840 doin's...

Goldenage,
By limiting to flintlocks, it is just a simple way to keep firearms authenic to the peroid. People like stuff simple, brief and easy to understand and by making rules like this one it is as clear cut as it can be.
The bad side is that by doing so, they limit the education and fun for not only the general public but the historical community. There are many, many guns that fit into our time frame that are not flint (you have conversions, cap lock....). But many do not want to take the time to find out what is apporiate and learn about this. Plus it keeps out modern guns that are nice guns to have and shoot, but do not have a historical heritage (modern guns that do not fit into classical styles).
Nothing too important about the 1840 cut off date except what others have written. People were still going west; adventures were still goiing on, journals kept and alot of exciting day still happened well after the Jan. 1st, 1841 date.
mike.

The cutoff date is as PaulIN/KS mentioned. Almost any traditional style except Civil War military pieces would fit in. Percussion cap rifles came about in the 1820s. By the mid 1830s caps were readily available and reliable enough that percussion rifles were as prevelant as flintlocks. Single shot pistols of both ignition systems were around also. The only revolver that would fit in the time period would be a Colt Paterson.

Unless you go to a juried event almost any traditional style will be welcome to include T/C Hawkens. A juried event is more stringent as to what will pass inspection. I usually avoid those like the plague but enough people like them that there are quite a few around.

What makes a juried event so nice is that there are no glaring anachronisms. Lots of people care about the history and want to immerse themselves in it for a few days and get away from their hectic lives. They spend a goodly amount of time and money getting it right and work with like minded folks to create an ambience as close as possible to the feel of the time period they have chosen. And others enjoy going to these gatherings to see what it was like back in the day and drink in the ambience of that era.
For some close enough isn't good enough. The history--our history--is just too precious not to get right.

There was no dig there at juried events. Many people like them for the reasons you mentioned. My gear will and has passed juried events for 1820 on. For those that enjoy that sort of thing, more power to them.

It's just that I prefer a more laid back event where the emphasis is more on shooting than what you would find at the average juried event. Many of those have little or none. I find competative primative shooting very relaxing. I don't really care if the guy next to me on the firing line is wearing a tshirt and Levies and slept in the time tipi camp. It's also pleasing to me when he asks about my dress and gear. Maybe he will get some together for next year and we start having a convert.

It's all about what parts you enjoy about the sport.

Back