• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frying pan bread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a pretty cool thread.

I first ran across the term, "frying-pan bread," in Tough Trip Through Paradise, by Andrew Garcia. A bear had raided his camp and opened up and scattered a sack of flour. "Susie," who was Garcia's Nez Perce wife, had gathered up as much of the flour as she could and then made some bread. Here is the quote: “Susie had finished broiling the venison for our supper and along with it had made coffee and frying-pan bread. The bread contained considerable fine gravel and sand that Susie had raked up with the flour, but I was now used to squaw cooking and it tasted good.” pp. 319-320

More recently, I was reading Col. William Pickett's "Memories of a Bear Hunter," in the Boone & Crockett book, Hunting at High Altitudes: “Here I met the Episcopal Bishop of Saskatchewan, on the way to his bishopric in the Northwest Territories. His residence, 600 miles west of Fort Garry or Winnipeg, covered a very large district. The winter before he had traveled two thousand miles by dog-train, his team consisting of three or four dogs, which covered about forty miles a day. He camped where night found him, sleeping on the snow. His food three times a day was pemmican, tea, and frying-pan bread.” p.15

I've read most of Theodore Roosevelt's American hunting stories, but didn't really pay attention to the reference to bread. After reading @Red Owl 's post, I went back and looked, and found the following in The Wilderness Hunter:

“After three or four days of rest, and of feasting on trout – a welcome relief to the monotony of frying-pan bread and coarse salt pork…” p.133

“At noon we halted beside a little brook for a bite of lunch – a chunk of cold frying-pan bread, which was all we had.” p. 135

“Then we supped on sugarless tea, frying-pan bread, and quantities of bear meat, fried or roasted -- and how very good it tasted…” p. 139

“The white goats were too musky to eat, and we saw nothing else to shoot; so we speedily became reduced to tea, and to bread baked in the frying-pan, save every now and then for a feast on the luscious mountain blueberries.” p. 141

“Each merely put on his jacket with a loaf of frying-pan bread and a paper of salt stuffed into the pockets. We were cumbered with nothing save our rifles and cartridges.” p. 156

Pickett was writing about a hunting trip in 1876, and Garcia was referring to events in 1878 or 1879. I think Roosevelt's time-frame was in the 1880's. However, all three of these gentlemen were traveling in the northern plains and Rockies, specifically in North Dakota, Montana, and in Garcia's case, probably the Idaho panhandle. This leads me to think maybe "frying pan bread" was a regional expression current during the later 19th century. I haven't run across it in other readings from the early western frontier. As for exactly what "frying pan bread" was, I think it was likely another name for bannock, or galette. Isaac Cowie, a Hudson's Bay Company clerk and author of The Company of Adventurers, wrote:

“Flour bannocks, made with water and a little pemmican grease, without any rising, and generally only half ‘done,’ by exposing them on twigs and frying pans before the camp fire were a luxury attained by the boatmen starting from Red River and York Factory, which was denied to their fellows in the interior, where the flour of wheat was as scarce and more valuable than flour gold, and animal food, generally dried, was the only sustenance afforded by the country, and their sole reliance.” p. 121

“…Hibert and I pushed on ahead, after we had remained long enough with the brigade to use their frying pans in cooking enough bannock to serve us to Fort Ellice.” p. 176

“…that rare and costly dainty of the time and place – bannocks, made with lots of buffalo fat and baked before an open fire in a frying pan.” p. 255

As noted above, another name for this type of bread which I have seen in the literature of the Canadian frontier is galette, a French term referring to a flat, round cake of pastry or bread. This was the term used by Robert Kennicott, although his description is otherwise pretty consistent with Cowie's:

“Near this lake Mr. Hubbard found the nest of a ruffed grouse, containing five eggs. These our cook used in making our galette, thereby giving us quite a treat. This galette is the only form of bread used on a [canoe] voyage, that is, when voyageurs are so fortunate as to have any flour at all. It is made in a very simple style – the flour bag is opened, and a small hollow made in the flour, into which a little water is poured, and the dough is thus mixed in the bag; nothing is added, except some dirt from the cook’s unwashed hands with which he kneads it into flat cakes, which are baked before the fire in a frying pan, or cooked in grease. To pampered dyspeptics a breakfast of galette and salt pork might not seem very inviting, but let them try it on a northern voyage, after traveling five hours in the morning without eating, and they will find it otherwise.” p. 57

That quote was from Kennicott, Robert. (1942). “The Journal of Robert Kennicott, May 19, 1859 – February 11, 1862.” In Northwestern University Studies in the Social Sciences, Number IV, The First Scientific Exploration of Russian America and the Purchase of Alaska. Evanston and Chicago: Northwestern University. I have not found a digitized version of this publication online, but it was published in the form of a hardbound book, and one of the dealers on AbeBooks may have it. Kennicott's journal is a very good read, for those interested in the Canadian frontier and fur trade in the mid-19th century. Kennicott himself died young, in Alaska, but he was quite a character... A trained scientist who virtually "went native":

Kennicott, Robert.jpg

Anyway, Isaac Cowie was originally from the Orkney Islands, and he would have probably been familiar with bannock from his upbringing. He said the bannock of the Canadian wilderness was made without "rising" (leavening), and he, Roosevelt, and Kennicott all specifically noted that the bread was baked in a frying-pan, not fried, although more or less grease was evidently added when it was available. It was also considered something of a luxury in the interior of the country. The Indian frybread with which I am familiar is fried in deep, hot fat. I discussed frybread recently with a Seminole lady who told me the only ingredients they used (other than the hot fat or oil) were self-rising flour and water, but she acknowledged that there was a leavening agent and salt already mixed in with the self-rising flour. Her frybread was really good. In any event, I get the impression that bannock, galette, and "frying-pan bread" were probably regional names for the same thing, which was evidently different from today's frybread.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
This is a pretty cool thread.

I first ran across the term, "frying-pan bread," in Tough Trip Through Paradise, by Andrew Garcia. A bear had raided his camp and opened up and scattered a sack of flour. "Susie," who was Garcia's Nez Perce wife, had gathered up as much of the flour as she could and then made some bread. Here is the quote: “Susie had finished broiling the venison for our supper and along with it had made coffee and frying-pan bread. The bread contained considerable fine gravel and sand that Susie had raked up with the flour, but I was now used to squaw cooking and it tasted good.” pp. 319-320

More recently, I was reading Col. William Pickett's "Memories of a Bear Hunter," in the Boone & Crockett book, Hunting at High Altitudes: “Here I met the Episcopal Bishop of Saskatchewan, on the way to his bishopric in the Northwest Territories. His residence, 600 miles west of Fort Garry or Winnipeg, covered a very large district. The winter before he had traveled two thousand miles by dog-train, his team consisting of three or four dogs, which covered about forty miles a day. He camped where night found him, sleeping on the snow. His food three times a day was pemmican, tea, and frying-pan bread.” p.15

I've read most of Theodore Roosevelt's American hunting stories, but didn't really pay attention to the reference to bread. After reading @Red Owl 's post, I went back and looked, and found the following in The Wilderness Hunter:

“After three or four days of rest, and of feasting on trout – a welcome relief to the monotony of frying-pan bread and coarse salt pork…” p.133

“At noon we halted beside a little brook for a bite of lunch – a chunk of cold frying-pan bread, which was all we had.” p. 135

“Then we supped on sugarless tea, frying-pan bread, and quantities of bear meat, fried or roasted -- and how very good it tasted…” p. 139

“The white goats were too musky to eat, and we saw nothing else to shoot; so we speedily became reduced to tea, and to bread baked in the frying-pan, save every now and then for a feast on the luscious mountain blueberries.” p. 141

“Each merely put on his jacket with a loaf of frying-pan bread and a paper of salt stuffed into the pockets. We were cumbered with nothing save our rifles and cartridges.” p. 156

Pickett was writing about a hunting trip in 1876, and Garcia was referring to events in 1878 or 1879. I think Roosevelt's time-frame was in the 1880's. However, all three of these gentlemen were traveling in the northern plains and Rockies, specifically in North Dakota, Montana, and in Garcia's case, probably the Idaho panhandle. This leads me to think maybe "frying pan bread" was a regional expression current during the later 19th century. I haven't run across it in other readings from the early western frontier. As for exactly what "frying pan bread" was, I think it was likely another name for bannock, or galette. Isaac Cowie, a Hudson's Bay Company clerk and author of The Company of Adventurers, wrote:

“Flour bannocks, made with water and a little pemmican grease, without any rising, and generally only half ‘done,’ by exposing them on twigs and frying pans before the camp fire were a luxury attained by the boatmen starting from Red River and York Factory, which was denied to their fellows in the interior, where the flour of wheat was as scarce and more valuable than flour gold, and animal food, generally dried, was the only sustenance afforded by the country, and their sole reliance.” p. 121

“…Hibert and I pushed on ahead, after we had remained long enough with the brigade to use their frying pans in cooking enough bannock to serve us to Fort Ellice.” p. 176

“…that rare and costly dainty of the time and place – bannocks, made with lots of buffalo fat and baked before an open fire in a frying pan.” p. 255

As noted above, another name for this type of bread which I have seen in the literature of the Canadian frontier is galette, a French term referring to a flat, round cake of pastry or bread. This was the term used by Robert Kennicott, although his description is otherwise pretty consistent with Cowie's:

“Near this lake Mr. Hubbard found the nest of a ruffed grouse, containing five eggs. These our cook used in making our galette, thereby giving us quite a treat. This galette is the only form of bread used on a [canoe] voyage, that is, when voyageurs are so fortunate as to have any flour at all. It is made in a very simple style – the flour bag is opened, and a small hollow made in the flour, into which a little water is poured, and the dough is thus mixed in the bag; nothing is added, except some dirt from the cook’s unwashed hands with which he kneads it into flat cakes, which are baked before the fire in a frying pan, or cooked in grease. To pampered dyspeptics a breakfast of galette and salt pork might not seem very inviting, but let them try it on a northern voyage, after traveling five hours in the morning without eating, and they will find it otherwise.” p. 57

That quote was from Kennicott, Robert. (1942). “The Journal of Robert Kennicott, May 19, 1859 – February 11, 1862.” In Northwestern University Studies in the Social Sciences, Number IV, The First Scientific Exploration of Russian America and the Purchase of Alaska. Evanston and Chicago: Northwestern University. I have not found a digitized version of this publication online, but it was published in the form of a hardbound book, and one of the dealers on AbeBooks may have it. Kennicott's journal is a very good read, for those interested in the Canadian frontier and fur trade in the mid-19th century. Kennicott himself died young, in Alaska, but he was quite a character... A trained scientist who virtually "went native":

View attachment 147980

Anyway, Isaac Cowie was originally from the Orkney Islands, and he would have probably been familiar with bannock from his upbringing. He said the bannock of the Canadian wilderness was made without "rising" (leavening), and he, Roosevelt, and Kennicott all specifically noted that the bread was baked in a frying-pan, not fried, although more or less grease was evidently added when it was available. It was also considered something of a luxury in the interior of the country. The Indian frybread with which I am familiar is fried in deep, hot fat. I discussed frybread recently with a Seminole lady who told me the only ingredients they used (other than the hot fat or oil) were self-rising flour and water, but she acknowledged that there was a leavening agent and salt already mixed in with the self-rising flour. Her frybread was really good. In any event, I get the impression that bannock, galette, and "frying-pan bread" were probably regional names for the same thing, which was evidently different from today's frybread.

Notchy Bob
Very good article On frying pan bread ,Notchy Bob, and that book, tough thru paradise, Is really worthwhile reading. I was raised on a sheep ranch and of course my father had herded sheep when he was young for his dad, that would been about 1925. I asked him about making biscuits on top of the flour in the flour sack, and he said it worked but it left the rest of the flour lumpy and hard to work with. I never tried it when I used to herd sheep during the 50s, but I did make different versions of frying pan bread in one of those thin frying pans on a small sheepherder stove. They were a lot better to eat if you had some jam or syrup. Then they were a lot like baking powder pancakes.
Squint

I'm reading Teddy Roosevelt's books on hunting, this was 1880's. He speaks about eating frying pan bread. Now sure what he is talking about. I know NDN's have some kind of fried bread but in Canada they had what they called bannock, which was sort of a flour dough, to fried the bottom a little to get a crust and then flipped it and propped it up near the fire to cook. I've never run across any pre-1840 reference. I've often wondered why mountain men, etc. didn't eat it.
A few years ago my wife and I toured Third Mesa in AZ. It's a hopi Indian village literally on top of a mess in the middle of the desert. There's still people living there. A few of the locals sell things like catching dolls and ink drawings. One old lady was selling hopi bread. It wasn't bread like we know but rather more like a rolled tortilla. Kinda dry and bland by today's standards but I'm sure it was plenty good if you had to live on it. The old squaw was blind and asked to put her hands on my face. I let her and she said an Indian prayer while she gently ran her finger tips over my face.
That moment was worth the trip right there. It was real Indian magic!

Thanks Notchy-Bob for the actual quotes. Right now I think I'll figure it was bannock. In that book by Roosevelt, he calls roadrunners a large cuckoo type bird, mule deer "blacktail", etc. On his supplies, he didn't carry sugar but had flour and baking powder, salt, bacon/salt pork. Probably fried the bacon or salt pork and used the fat to fry the dough or add to the dough. The bannock I used to make wasn't a biscuit but it was heavy bread and a thick crust. You fried the bottom rather quickly and then flipped it. I think the crust (down on top) held the air bubbles so the dough would rise. It was propped up at an angle near the heat to "bake" about 20 minutes.
He also refers to a plain square tarp as the most commonly used "tent" In bad weather they may add some branches to the sides to keep the wind out.

Like I said look up Navajo fry bread.
I think frybread is different from the "frying pan bread" that is the subject of the original question. The native frybreads I have eaten, as prepared by Seminole, Crow, Cheyenne, Navaho, and Havasupai cooks, have all been deep fat fried. Based on the readings, "frying pan bread," which is the subject of this post, was not deep fried. It was baked. Most of the detailed references describe "baking" the bread in a frying pan, or even tipping the skillet on its side so the bread will brown on top. You can't do that with deep fat, and in fact you don't need to.

I think the significance of this is that frying pan bread, or bannock, can be prepared in camp with very simple ingredients. Period references to "frying pan bread" describe using flour and water, and not much else. One of the quotes from Isaac Cowie (post #17) mentioned "plenty of buffalo fat," so fat was included when available, and Kennicott mentioned their camp cook added some fresh grouse eggs when they found a nest. I was thinking the buffalo fat would have been worked into the dough, like shortening, but I can't be sure. I don't think it was really feasible for people to be carrying the quantities of fat needed for deep-fat frying into the wilderness. Deep frying would be in a place where a quantity or fat or oil could be kept and stored.

As mentioned previously, a Seminole lady recently told me they used self-rising flour for their frybread, and I think this is pretty typical of Indian frybreads now. However, I did not see leavening of any kind mentioned for "frying pan bread." All in all, I think frybread is a relatively more modern development. Frying pan bread appears to have been a much more primitive type of bread.

I was hoping this thread would have recipes for it. I thought it would be a pan flat bread cooked in an iron skillet.

Your best bet would be to look for bannock recipes. This is a flat bread baked in a skillet. Most of the recipes I have seen call for cooking it in an oven, but in camp, you would need a Dutch oven, or tip the skillet on its side so the top of the bread can brown before the fire. There are a lot of bannock recipes out there. I believe "soda bread" is essentially bannock with a bit of leavening. I think traditional soda bread is made with all wheat flour, but our local paper had a recipe for soda bread with some cornmeal added. I can copy the cornmeal soda bread recipe if you are interested. I cook it now and then, and like it a lot.

None of this is to disparage frybread. It is one of my favorite foods, and one I have been unable to duplicate. I've only been able to enjoy it when traveling, when it is prepared by native chefs. Properly prepared, Indian frybread is light, crispy on the outside and kind of chewy, and really not greasy. It's really good. Mine always turns out heavy and greasy. Real Indian frybread is probably a lot better tasting than the "frying pan bread" that is the subject of this discussion.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Well, to get to the original. As I said I was reading Teddy Roosevelt- 1880's and he spoke of eating cowboy bread or frying pan bread and on the supplies, flour, salt, bacon (fat) baking powder. If you look at a lot of fur trade lists, I don't think flour was mentioned very much (if ever) so I was wondering how far back this flour "bread" was used? 1880's? 1870's 1860"s?
I did a lot of canoe camping up in Canada when I was a kid and bannock was cooked in a frying pan. As I said, I was never very good at cooking it. Way too heavy. I should of tried the wrapping around a stick method.

Well, to get to the original. As I said I was reading Teddy Roosevelt- 1880's and he spoke of eating cowboy bread or frying pan bread and on the supplies, flour, salt, bacon (fat) baking powder. If you look at a lot of fur trade lists, I don't think flour was mentioned very much (if ever) so I was wondering how far back this flour "bread" was used? 1880's? 1870's 1860"s?
I did a lot of canoe camping up in Canada when I was a kid and bannock was cooked in a frying pan. As I said, I was never very good at cooking it. Way too heavy. I should of tried the wrapping around a stick method.

Well the first stuff that we would recognize as "baking powder" would've been seen around 1843.

The stuff that we use as baking powder today, that releases some gas, then releases more when baked, came out in the 1860's

Prior to that, Pearlash, aka potassium carbonate (K₂CO₃) , could be used with an acid such as buttermilk, or lemon juice or vinegar, to get some sort of rise that would lighten the bread product.

However, the earliest use of "pearl ash" is in
American Cookery: The Art of Dressing Viands, Fish, Poultry, and Vegetables 1796 by Amelia Simmons, but she uses it in four cookie recipes, not in biscuits, and those recipes don't call for a sour agent. Perhaps she didn't quite know its best use yet. It was very new to the cooking world.

Pearlash today is used for water softening, and in mead sometimes, as well as industrial uses.

LD

White ash from a campfire will work for a leavening, although not a good one. The bannock we used to make, was the dough simply turned around a green stick, and roasted near the fire.
Someone mentioned Indian fry bread isn't greasy. Pretty correct. If you want something greasy go to a pow wow and get curly fries. The grease drips off your elbows when you eat it!

Well, this is all about being PC and so far, it seems to me, wheat flour wasn't a common item on the supply lists and I haven't read any diaries except one from a trader out of Santa Fe going east and he had wheat grain of some sort he boiled. If you are a civil war type, then baking powder would have been around so maybe that time frame.

I found a quote which might (or might not...) be of interest to some. This is from Fifty Years on the Old Frontier, by James Cook:

Cook, James - Fifty Years p.14.png

This is from approximately 1872, and the narrative describes a crew of Texas cow hunters heading out into the wilderness to gather wild cattle. While "frying pan bread" isn't mentioned specifically, I thought the list of provisions and utensils was interesting. I was not familiar with "saleratus," and had to look it up. It turns out that this is an archaic term for sodium bicarbonate (or sometimes potassium bicarbonate) as the main ingredient of baking powder. James Cook was likely using the term to refer to actual baking powder.

We note also that neither wheat flour nor sugar were among the provisions. It looks like these fellows subsisted on coffee, cornbread, salt pork, and fresh beef.

Notchy Bob

Well, this is all about being PC and so far, it seems to me, wheat flour wasn't a common item on the supply lists and I haven't read any diaries except one from a trader out of Santa Fe going east and he had wheat grain of some sort he boiled. If you are a civil war type, then baking powder would have been around so maybe that time frame.

Wheat was being grown and milled in Illinois in the early 1700's and is still being grown today in the fertile Mississippi river bottoms, flour and pork hams from Illinois saved starving residents of New Orleans several times in the time period. Reference "The Forgotten Colony: ' Le Pays Des Illinois" Dr. Winstanley Briggs.

Anyone staging their excursion out of the St Louis area from around 1730 onward would have had plenty of access to wheat flour.

Wheat was being grown and milled in Illinois in the early 1700's and is still being grown today in the fertile Mississippi river bottoms, flour and pork hams from Illinois saved starving residents of New Orleans several times in the time period. Reference "The Forgotten Colony: ' Le Pays Des Illinois" Dr. Winstanley Briggs.

Anyone staging their excursion out of the St Louis area from around 1730 onward would have had plenty of access to wheat flour.
I think we get sloppy with ‘frontier.’ A lot of wheat flour wasn’t sent to rendezvous, but the frontier of Texas, Illinois, Arkansas at the same time were still ‘frontier’, and munching wheat.
Most wheat grown in English colonies got shipped to the UK. Pennsylvania grew wheat but ate corn and barley
Spain was raising wheat in New Mexico, but the Pueblo people wouldn’t eat it. While the Iroquois were planting it by the time of the revolution

Agreed, they had access to wheat, if they bothered to pack it to take for rondy I will let people who know more about such things speculate. Rondy period is not my time frame.

Back