• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB for Whitetail Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can anyone recommend a powder charge for a traditional flintlock in >50 cal. using a .490 Ball. I'm Thinking some thing like 80 gr of ffg should be sufficient.

lone crow the load is more than sufficient the question is it is accurate at that loading?
I have punched prb clean thru whitetails with 62 grs. weasel

I used a Ford Windstar to take a doe two days ago...
frown.gif

I now have no car and I'm loosing what little mind I have left, but how could anyone tell...

I would use 60-70 grains of FFg for the roundball load, this should do well.

Thanks for the help. Sorry to hear about the Windstar, Musketman hope you come up with a replacement soon. I will work on obtaining accuracy within your guide lines.

Lone Crow

Musketman
What horse power load were you using in that van?
I got one a few years ago with a 350 V-8 Carprice Classic Wagon.

It was a 3.8 liter @ 50 mph
shocked.gif

The classic story of a corn field that was near a bend in the road.

Needed a flash guard for the air bag charge.
rolleyes.gif

I couldn't find the deer, it lived long enough to run off into the corn field somewhere...

I hated letting it suffer, but I was in no shape to track it at the time.
frown.gif

Back on subject:
Start on the small side and work up, noting what load gives the better results.

What is the range you are sighting in for?
I used dead-on at 75 yards in my "rifled" days.

Then I was a inch or so high at 50 yards and a inch or so low at 100 yards...

Have fun.

hope the following info is relevant, even though it is not for a .50 cal. just figuring out my .45 flintlock and so far have found:

fffg 50 grains = point of aim at 25 yds.
fffg 55 grains = point of aim at 50 yds.
fffg 60 grains = point of aim at 75 yds.
fffg 65 grains = point of aim at 100 yds.

therefore, for squirrels and the like from 15 to 40 yds i'll use 50 grains and for deer hunting i'll use 60 grains. also for target shooting i'll use whatever grains related to the distance i am at. my rifle shoots nice tight groups with from 50-65 grains fffg.

figuring out the grouping tightness, sights ,etc. on this new rifle has been the most fun i have had in years.

hope you have the same.

daniel

I have found the best accuracy in several .50 guns I have had over the years has been with 60-70 gr 3f with a snug ball/patch fit each barrel make and gun/type may differ but any of the loads mentioned in any of the replies will take a deer if you put the ball in the right spot.

Hi all,

I'm new to the board here, and also new to ML hunting. I just bought an traditional CVA .50 percussion last week, and I'm going to start out my shooting with round balls. I'd like to hear more from you guys (tg/weasel?) about the realistic range of a rb on whitetails. I've read and been told that the max effective range is about 65-75 yds, but it sounds like 100 yds is not out of the question? Thanks.
cmg

I like to keep my shots at 65-75 yds with a .50 but 100yds is not out of line but a light charge of 60gr or less may not be the best way to go at the longer ranges.unless you cannot get the accuracy with a heavier charge. Find out what your own limits are...paint a life size deer on a pice of card board and take five shots at it at 100 yds...no bullseye or other reference points, then see whether each shot would have killed of crippled the animal.This is also an excellent way to learn to judge distance from the reletive size of the deer in the sight picture at different distances.I have taken deer at 90yds with a .40 but that is another story from a time that I could see/shoot well enough to thread the needle at that distance. In the end you will have to be the judge of what is best for you...and the deer.

CMG everyone out here has some info on something you may need help with.Musketman and Wik and Deaddawg to name a few I have been sniffn sulfur for thirty two years so I have made my share of bad choices with guns loads and jest about everything else don't feel dumb asking for help black powder shooters are a different breed of people always willn to get somebody hooked I have tried the conical route and didn't like the recoil six shots and my teeth were loose a patched roundball is plenty medicin experiment patch mat lubes grains of powder yule get her shootin center
weasel

Everybody has different views and preferences for
loads...I've always like maximum hunting loads regardless of the type firearms I've used in my lifetime.
For .50cal PRB's I use 120grns FFg or 90grns FFFg, very accurate and powerful in round ball barrels, and put a deer right down.
While I haven't personally used lighter loads, from my experience in general I agree 10-20 grain lighter loads would work at distances most shots are normally taken.
I like knowing there'll be no question about the outcome when the Hornady arrives, and that I've got the clout needed for a longer than normal shot.

Thanks for the info guys. I've already picked up a few good tips just from reading some of the different threads. I'm really looking forward to ML hunting, not so much to add another season, but more to get back to "what was" and make part of the regular season a bit more challenging. Call it nostalgic or whatever, but I think it's pretty awesome to think that these are the type weapons that our forefathers won this country with. Imagine what would have happened to the natives if the "white-eyes" had pump .30-06s like I normally hunt deer with...

cmg

Right on WEASEL, CMG, unless you are very good , follow TG's range limits. Of maybe 20 deer i've taken with my longrifle, only 2 were beyond 40yrds. I'm shooting a 54 with 90gr 2f behind it. If possible put it just behind the shoulder, a tad below center. She will probably run, but not far. you don't waste no meat with that shot. If your really good, break the neck. She don't run atall, but I seldom take that option myself. Don't always trust myself under pressure. Doe I might, but horns get the heart pumpin overtime. Shot a 7 point once through the neck, but that's all he showed me. Good luck and good hunting

Speakin of the deer runnin after it's shot, I've read the old timers who used guns like ours warn't that concerned 'bout it.
They recommended just take yur time and reload yur gun and maby sit a spell listenin. Ye might hear somethin that'll help you figger where it's a goin.
If'n the deer is hit purty good it won't go far before it lays down to hep it feel better 'n that's where you'll find it most likly stone dead.
If'n it's not hit your rushin to reload and run pell mell into the brush ain't gona get you another shot anyway.

My father and granfather taught me that in 1964 when I started hunting with an old thuty-thuty saddle carbine...mark the spot, sit a spell then go look for a deer/blood trail. No point in pushin' a hit animal was the theory, he may just go a bit and lay down and not get up if given the chance. I been doin' it every since and it works for me.

That's the way to do it TG. Another problem with pushing a wounded deer is that often they develop what is known as subcutaneous emphysema, which is the gas bubbles you sometimes see between the skin and meat. This often gives the meat a gamey flavor due to the adrenalin produced. This is very common here in FL with the people that dog hunt deer.

Here in Ohio, if you don't go look for your deer soon, someone else will tag it for you.

By brother lost a deer to another hunter this way.
It's hard to state your claim when you are out numbered.

Well the deer is in the freezer, got this one like I do most. Preseason scouting a good place to sit, maybe a tree or just some brush. This year the shot was about 20 yards it took about 5 steps and it was over. Some people here in Iowa push deer, but I prefer the time I spend scouting the area and trying to out think the criters. Boy is that hard, maybe that's because I do it for fun and the deer do it for their life and it's their home field. I have heard that a few states have made their primitive season for muzzleloaders, flintlock only? Does anyone know that for sure. Having helped get a muzzleloading season here in Iowa I know we didn't mean for it to be for inlines. Now you can get muzzleloading setups for your shotguns. Some of Knight's inlines are made here in Iowa so I don't see us getting the law changed to outlaw inlines.

Back