• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a hardcore BPCRS shooter from '93-2003, so was pretty in tune with BP. I had tried some of the earlier Elephant '96 or '96, grey stuff with inconsistent grain size and weak, but left lots of soft fouling. Goex Ctg seemed to be the best for that purpose prior to the plant relocating to Louisiana, but I switched to the Louisiana ffg later.

When the KIK was imported, I bought some of that, but decided it was better in MLers than cartridges.

Wano/Schuetzen powder is some that I still haven't tried. I doubt that I will in that I'm still using up partial case lots of this and that. I WAS shooting a lot of BP in cartridges, and recall having gone through almost 40# of BP and 350# of lead in one rifle one year.

Was their attempt to make a more consistent powder to give more consistent velocities for us cartridge shooters. Shot it for a while and saw no advantage for the price difference. I would think in a muzzle loader it would work OK with slightly lower velocities.

Schuetzen powder is some that I still haven't tried.

My experience with Schuetzen show no difference in performance, accuracy or smell than Goex. No experience with Wano.
Little I have used Swiss (and I have a lot on hand) is that accuracy charges I use with Goex get blown sumptin' awful with Swiss. When I get back to shooting, it will be bench time again with the Swiss to find it's 'sweet spot' charges. As a side observation. When used in my wife's .40 rifle, even small charges (e.g.40 gr.) make an huge boom. :shocked2: Rivals Big Bertha cannon. Don't ask me why. I dunno. :idunno:

Latest posts

Back