• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

statetrooper62

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everybody, with my first powder horn I tried to make a powder measure with an antler deer and tried some scrimshaw.
CIMG6122_zpsf6407f99.jpg

CIMG6123_zps321b4b8d.jpg

I drilled the antler with my dremel and finished it with a file.
I sand the exterior part with sand paper and carved the draw with my dremel then I filled it with ink.
the scrimshaw is the drawing of a barking bear head and the volume of the powder measure in US grains, perhaps this volume is a little too weak for a real bear but it is the volume of powder I use with my pedersoli pennsylvania rifle .
I don't use it on the shooting range, powder horn is not permitted in France. And I don't hunt.

It was just to improve my handcraft skill

It was my first experience with antler deer, a raw material very easy to work with.

Nice work! I want to make me a few measures but cant bring my self to cut up any of my antlers. Is the antler polished over the scrimshaw or that just the sanded finish?
Looks really good.
Ray

Looks GREAT from where I sit! Although I prefer a wooden stopper vs a horn made stopper. The reason for my preference is due to a loss of powder at a shooting match from a horn stopper ( that I made) that had fallen out.
Your measure and scrimshaw looks really good! What tips were used on your dremel?
Keep it up!

The antler was polished with steel wool before the scrimshaw, then the scrimshaw was carved and inked with a iron feather
plumes_zps2050bb15.jpg
, then the antler, especially the place of the carving, was polished once again with steel wool to eliminate blobs.

the horn stooper was discussed in a previous post. It was my first powder horn and at this time it seemed to me that it was a good idea to make a stopper with the same stuff as the horn. Since, I have bought wooden stoppers from Track of The Wolf.
About the powder measure, I drilled it first then I widened the hole with dremmel tools like these ones
5-meules-a-rectifier-assortis-pour-dremel_zps16461ed2.jpg

I was afraid to perforate the wall of the measure with too much drilling so I let the wall a little bit thick.

Look very nice and congratulations for doing it for your self.
Although documented that antler and bone were sometimes used for stoppers, I much prefer wood. Wood sticks better, has some compression, and will not split the powder horn.
I like to make my antler measures a half-charge. That way light charges can be used for squirrels, close up novelty targets and such. Then a double charge can be used when that mean bear is coming at you. :wink:
Half charge measures are also documented as having been used back in the day.
And, it makes small, otherwise scrap, pieces of antler useful.

Very nice! :hatsoff:

I like the idea with the iron feather.
Maybe I'll really have to cut down some antlers.

Silex

Back