• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaleb

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wanting to make a powder measure from wood. Can someone tell me the volume needed. In other words, what diameter hole, by what depth do I need to drill to achieve 10 grains of Goex 2ff BP. I figured I could multiply the depth of the hole in order to customize my load; 70, 75, 80 grains, etc. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

welcome to the forum kaleb....
that's the drill bit size chart fer ball blocks to fit yer caliber of ball....i used a 7/16" drill bit and have it drilled bout 3 1/2" or so in an antler i'm making into a powder measure fer my .54....right now it's drilled that deep as i don't know yet what my rifle will like since it's not finished yet....the hole will hold 110 grains of 3f powder now but i will cut shorter to hold what load i come up with in that rifle....hope that helps ya a little :v ................bob

I worked up a spreadsheet to figure the depth of hole for a 10 grain charge. Here is the depth for various size drill bits. Of course I would verify these numbers with a known measure, but it should give an idea...
Scott

Drill Bit______Depth (inches) for 10 grain charge

1/4__________2-1/2
3/8__________1-1/8
7/16_________13/16
1/2__________5/8
9/16_________1/2
5/8__________3/8
3/4__________1/4
7/8__________7/32
1____________5/32

41Aeronca said:
I worked up a spreadsheet to figure the depth of hole for a 10 grain charge. Here is the depth for various size drill bits. Of course I would verify these numbers with a known measure, but it should give an idea...
Scott

Drill Bit______Depth (inches) for 10 grain charge

1/4__________2-1/2
3/8__________1-1/8
7/16_________13/16
1/2__________5/8
9/16_________1/2
5/8__________3/8
3/4__________1/4
7/8__________7/32
1____________5/32

i think them numbers might be off....my 7/16" drill bit is 3-1/2" deep fer 110 grains of powder, that i mearured out to know how deep i was....that would mean a hole drilled with my 7/16" drill bit would be 8-15/16" deep by yer chart there :hmm: ....not saying yer wrong, i'm just going by them numbers ya put up, sorry :surrender: :v ..............bob

That's why I put the disclaimer in to verify the numbers. :winking: There were several steps in the formulas for that spreadsheet. I'll double check 'em...
Scott

If you can get hold of an adjustable brass powder measure [pretty common item], set and fill it to the desired load; then drill-out your custom made measure till it holds what you've got in the adjustable measure.
A goex can lid, filled level, holds about 70 grs.

matter of fact that's what i used, T/C's brass powder measure that holds from 50 to 120 grains....it just slides and clicks in place at 10 gr increaments :v ..............bob

Making a powder measure from wood, or antler, or bone, or anything else, is largely a matter of trial and error. As you increase the amount of pwoder in a column, it compresses the powder below. That last 10 drain increment is no longer using the same volume of space as the first 10 grain increment, and that first 10 grain increment is using less space now, than when it was standing alone.

I made a fixed powder measure with a piece of antler when I was new to the sport. Still have it, Can't give it away. No one wants it. I did a nice job on it, but all the shooters I know use adjustable powder measures, with a funnel attached, as you can buy from Tedd Cash products. Tingle made them before Cash bought him out. Mine is a Tingle.

I stopped using my home made, antler fixed powder measure because it did not have a funnel to help me get that powder into the muzzle of my gun. I was always experiencing spills to one degree or another. And the result that my accuracy dropped and groups opened up. That did not win me anything but laughs, and I knew I could shoot better. I think that is also why the other shooters in my club won't accept a " gift " of that powder measure, either.

here's the way i'm going to make my measure with a pour spout built in with half the measure with a flat that lets me know when powder is at the volume i need....

powdermeasure.jpg

if the compaction rate is so on the first 10 grains in the measure then a powder measure made to hold 45 grains if yer gun shoots best with 90 grains, ya just put to measure loads in to make 90....smaller measure then too :v ...............bob

Bob,
That pour spout looks like a good idea. I made up a few measures from some brass tubing, but didn't put a spout on. So far, I haven't had problems with spillage, but the spout is a nice addition.
Scott

Latest posts

Back