• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder measure from antler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When making a powder measure from a deer antler, what ingredient would you use to simulate 3f black powder to get a good indicator of measure. Pepper,salt.

Why not use FFFg?
You'll need a graduated measure to determine what volume equals your desired charge, in which case it makes no difference what you use. A volumetric charge of salt will equal the same volume of powder. NOTE: Volume NOT weight.

I use corn meal,,and if I "over size" it I melt some bees wax pour it in then, remove some till the measure is correct.The corn meal doesn't keep me from drilling the antler and it keeps the powder from being contaminated,,and it is cheap and easy to get.

I agree, simplest thing is to just use powder of the granulation you intend to measure with it.

It's a curious fact that if you are making the measure for 2F powder, water makes a perfect substitute. Not for 3F, though, it weighs a bit more than water of the same volume.

Spence

Since it is a volume measure I use salt since I throw it an antler drill dust away.
One of the best things I have seen photos of was in the museum of the fur trade they have an antler measure stained to look like birds eye maple. We our proud of antler,they tried to cover it up. :idunno:

tenngun said:
We our proud of antler,they tried to cover it up.
My antler measure is faceted with a ball carved near the end and other carved details. It bears little resemblance to antler other than the slight curve of the original tine and the off-white color of polished bone/antler.

The first question to be answered is, "How many grains of powder do you want to measure?"

Second you want to know how deep to drill a hole and what diameter to use.

What I learned a long time ago from someone who made measures is to have a 29/64" drill bit. As a rough approximation, every 1/4" of depth will measure 10 grains of powder. So for a 100 grain measure, you will be drilling 2.5" deep. Then you do the final adjustments with black powder.

If you have a smaller antler an 11 mm bit (0.433) will need 1.9" of depth to have an approximate 70 grain measure of powder. A 7/16" drill with a depth of 1.9" is about 71 grains.

I don't use a jig of any kind, but do make hash marks to go by when needed. For spiral cuts, I make measured spaced marks, bottom and top with a pencil. Then draw one spiral the way I want it. I then spray clear lacquer, or hair spray, over the marks to preserve them while I file. I cut the pencil marked spiral, then continue the others keeping the proper distance apart as best I can by eye. I cut first with a tri corner needle file, then finish with a round, usually a 1/8", using the V cut as a sort of file guide, which lessens the chance of slip ups. As the round cuts get established, spacing can be slightly adjusted by pressuring the file to the right or left, if needed. All the rest is just free hand filing to sometimes measured boundaries. Some times not measured.

Those are really pretty!

I will be having to make one before long. I hope you don't mind me imitating your work Mr. Wick Ellerbe. Great information!

Wick, Those are beautiful measures and thanks for describing how you made them. Going to try my hand at some.

As a bonus, I've seen patterns for carving spiral shaped Christmas decorations but could never get the right look using knives and gouges. The file and rasp technique you described should do the job and even let me use harder, more interesting wood than basswood. Of course, having a little talent wouldn't hurt. :grin:

Jeff

You guys have gotten me thinking. Often a dangerous undertaking, but maybe not in this case. It's been many years since I did my first spiral cut and file in on a round shaft. My first was a knife grip. But I remember I marked in each spiral cut. Not just one, which I was able to do on the powder measures later on. Enough time has passed that If I were to do one today, I would pencil in each spiral. When you do the same repetitive work often enough, you develop a "feel" of what's right. You can reach a point where you can skip some of the measuring or lay out, but I'm thinking you may have better success in this case by marking all the cuts before starting. Clear lacquer or hair spray, will protect the pencil marking pretty well. If it helps, most often I did a full twist for the cuts. Meaning, one full turn around the body area for each spiral being cut.

Late to the party, but I have to pipe up with compliments and highest regards for your measures Wick.

I've always been fascinated with deer antler for implements. It's so common, yet in skilled hands proves itself a remarkable raw material for fine art. Yours are a prime example Wick! :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back