• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Loads and Velocities

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to help make the case, if any of us spent as much time shooting as we did jawing about efficiency and velocity, it would take a lot less powder to assure humane kills!

Not saying we have to go to the range more often, even if we really should. But more practice with aim and trigger squeeze at home sure shows up fast on the targets once we get to the range.

I shoot 20 rounds a day through an accurate air rifle here at home, and that slow little pellet will teach you more about follow through in two evenings than you'll learn in a year making smoke.

Off the soap box and back to life. Take it as a vow to do even more shooting and less yacking.

marmotslayer said:
We differ there in that I don't think one shooter's/rifle's ideal load is necessarily a good one for another rifle.

I think we agree on that point: '...each combination of gun....

marmotslayer said:
The promoter of the Davenport formula persistently used the term "efficiency" and "accuracy". He never gave his definition of accuracy though.

True. But there's only one that makes sense, at least to me.

roundball said:
mykeal said:
"...I think posting any velocity information at all is misleading the newbies into thinking it matters..."

And the subject of velocity certainly should not be hidden from newbies or hidden from anyone...grownups can make up their own minds...otherwise they'd only see part of the picture if information was intentionally not posted...

Agreed! I should have said, "I think posting only velocity information is misleading the newbies into thinking it matters more than anything else." Post away, but make it a complete, or at least not a unilateral, picture.

And I'd have to admit that, as much as I promote "accuracy", I'd make that same decision about a heavier load that was only a half inch "worse". (I'd justify it, of course, by saying they were really the same accuracy as the half inch growth was caused by the phase of the moon, or the strength of my morning cup of coffee - I'm not going to give up that easily. :surrender: )

Agreed! I should have said, "I think posting only velocity information is misleading the newbies into thinking it matters more than anything else." Post away, but make it a complete, or at least not a unilateral, picture.

A good point. It would be interesting to see some graphs that combine accuracy and velocity on the same graph. Talking meaningful accuracy as in at least a 10 shot group.

Even then it would be applicable only to that indivdual gun and components.

Latest posts

Back