• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn use

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I leave mine with powder always. So did the old timers. If it's air tight and stored in a dry place, it'll be fine.

I have only 2 horns. The first is a Cabelas horn-cheap, thick, and it’s never had powder inside it. I bought it when I first started off for my hunting rifle but never really used it yet. Second is a nicer, smaller flat horn made by a forum member. It’s not super fancy, but I like it a lot. I filled it with BP for my pistol and I like using it at the range. It still has powder inside and I see no reason to empty it.

Normal heat , like in a house, won't bother it. Powder gets affected by heat at about 150 degrees F. (looses power)
But, your horn will thank you for not baking it! Horn can dry out and crack if getting too hot.

If the powder is real black powder, leaving it in the horn won't cause any problems.
If the powder is one of the synthetic, modern "black powders", remove it from the horn and store it in the original container.
These synthetic powders absorb moisture from the air. If they do this, they lose a lot of their power. Some of them will clump up into rock like pieces which won't pour out of the horn.
Black powder is unaffected by normal humidity.

Yes, I've heard the "turn to soup" claims from some flintlock shooters who have seen 4F powder get wet from humidity but the tests I ran prove that this is caused by the fouling that was left in the pan before reloading. It was not caused by black powder absorbing humidity directly from the air. Since there isn't any fouling inside a powder horn, there will be no problem with leaving black powder in a horn.

Provided it’s got a good seal and the stopper fits snug, you can absolutely for sure 100% leave it loaded for basically ever.

Don’t store it near heat or flame or high moisture and it will be A-okay ready to go when you are!

I leave mine in my horns. Check out Black Powder TV on YT. He has a good one on safe powder storage.

With 20-30 pounds in that chest, a blow-off lid isn't going to matter much in that room. Painting the ceiling will be the least of his concerns.

He says there may be a better way, and probably is a better way. Then he shouldn't be giving advice on storing it, especially when he has synthetic powders and large quantities of primers in the same chest.

With 20-30 pounds in that chest, a blow-off lid isn't going to matter much in that room. Painting the ceiling will be the least of his concerns.

He says there may be a better way, and probably is a better way. Then he shouldn't be giving advice on storing it, especially when he has synthetic powders and large quantities of primers in the same chest.
Yea I don't store anything but BP in my box. His video did change my mind about storing it in my metal ammo can.

These synthetic powders absorb moisture from the air. If they do this, they lose a lot of their power. Some of them will clump up into rock like pieces which won't pour out of the horn.
Black powder is unaffected by normal humidity.

As someone who shoots both BP and synthetic I completely agree with this statement.

I keep about 8 prepcharge containers of synthetic. I place the containers in a Ziploc bag with 2 small desiccant packs.

I have absolutely noticed that the synthetic is more hydroscopic than Goex. Synthetic does clump up fairly fast if no dessication product is used.

I sometimes experiment with a metal spoon and a few bits of powder or synthetic. It's good to test cleaners and lube reaction that way.

I'll add a bit to the spoon and use a lighter to ignite. It takes a bit of heat and a bit of exposure to the flame to ignite.

House heat should not be a problem however, as most mentioned humidity would be more of a concern. Metal container storage I not sure about as I use a metal brass holder. That kind of makes the material of the box I put it in a mute point.

yes leave it in the horn. the best part is that they don't rust out like the metal BP cans used to. now it come's in BP. containers that are nylon / plastic.

I just got my 1st powder horn and I was wondering if I have to empty it after each use or let the powder stay in it. It does appear to be airtight.

All advise appreciated.

Mike
Just a thought. I keep my horns in a plastic box full of cedar shavings. The Beatles won’t chew holes in them.

Latest posts

Back