• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn Stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard talk of "Old Bones" I have not used any yet, But I do have some on order and it should be here soon! :thumbsup:

That's what i used on mine and it worked great. Just be careful not to leave it in there to long... :thumbsup:

Danny.. :hatsoff:

Purchase "Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn" by Scott Sibley. Scott and his wife Kathy have been making and antiquing powders for some 30 years. His book spells out their techniques for making staining and antiquing a powder horn.
Scott

OLD BONES and Leather Dyes fade and rubs off pretty easily or doesn't wear very good over time. RIT dye or boiled onion skins works and looks better! IMHO

Rick

lonehunter said:
How dark does the onion skin dye get the horn?? :v
Depends on how long you leave it in the solution..........This one took about 1/2 hour if I recall.
ArtBalcom-1.jpg

Ricardo, Whatever you deside to use to color your horn. You want to be sure to put a coat or two of paste wax on it for protection and do the same thing every so often! I use Johnson's Paste Wax and have for a long time with great results!

Soggy! Nice color on that horn and like the engraved compass!

Rick

horner75 said:
Ricardo, Whatever you deside to use to color your horn. You want to be sure to put a coat or two of paste wax on it for protection and do the same thing every so often! I use Johnson's Paste Wax and have for a long time with great results!

Soggy! Nice color on that horn and like the engraved compass!

Rick

Rick I do the same and even use Johnson's Paste Wax on my hunting rifles (barrel, lock plate and wood), we live in a damp climate and it sure helps with the rain. Thanks for the reminder need to rewax tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Need to check my spare funds to talk to you about your work $$$$. Later.

Soggy said:
lonehunter said:
How dark does the onion skin dye get the horn?? :v
Depends on how long you leave it in the solution..........This one took about 1/2 hour if I recall.
ArtBalcom-1.jpg

Like your work and the color, signature is pretty good too. :rotf:

une carabine said:
That's what i used on mine and it worked great. Just be careful not to leave it in there to long... :thumbsup:

Danny.. :hatsoff:

I guess i should have mentioned also, that i dyed my horn in the 2 parts yellow, 1 pinch orange, and then dipped it in the hot "Old Bones" solution. I personally think the aged color look, turned out great on this one...MHO... :wink:

"Well, this is what i came up with on my first horn"
DSCF2048_edited.jpg

DSCF3049_edited.jpg

DSCF4050_edited.jpg
DSCF5051_edited.jpg

Back