• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn safety: Watch out!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you are sort of okay and hope you will heal up quickly and well. Thanks for taking the time to post. Proves once more the right safety equipment makes a big difference because no matter how careful you are bad stuff can still happen.

Thank you all for your responses. I have been shooting for over 50 years, and blackpowder for 40, so I am no novice. I have never had anything close to an accident as severe as this. Your comments have been welcome.
My right eye, closest to the blast, was examined by an ophthalmologist due to blurred vision. He said I was lucky...wearing my glasses...that I only had a slight flash burn which should heal in 10 days or so, and no "tattooing" with powder residue into the surface of the eye. Surprisingly, he knew quite a bit about this. He told me that he sees this all the time with shooters, sometimes with catastrophic results.
The "Murphy's Law" lesson here is that you never lose sight of the fact that such things are waiting to happen. Safety glasses, hearing protection, and KEEP ALL POWDER AWAY FROM THE FIREARM while shooting.
rooster

marmotslayer said:
I have been preaching powder horn safety for quite a few years now. Try to discourage lanyards on powder horns and priming horns but most don't take it seriously. Aggravated a bunch of shooters at a match several years ago when I would not allow lanyards!

your exp brings up a whole new angle. Thanks for posting it👍

Can you explain the issue with lanyards on the horn?

Thank you.

dmills said:
marmotslayer said:
I have been preaching powder horn safety for quite a few years now. Try to discourage lanyards on powder horns and priming horns but most don't take it seriously. Aggravated a bunch of shooters at a match several years ago when I would not allow lanyards!

your exp brings up a whole new angle. Thanks for posting it👍

Can you explain the issue with lanyards on the horn?

Thank you.

Is it because horn might have a greater chance of cracking when screws might be used for the landyards?

Or is it because the powder horn might be swinging around and some part could become loose?

I don't have a powder horn, so I would like to know also.

Ditto- glad you are okay. I carry a towel and cover my percussion revolver gear as there is a lot of flash and flame but I have been less strict with rifles. Thanks for sharing your real world experience. Towels are often around to wipe your hands, etc. and tossing it over your gear only takes a second. Probably ought to be a standard practice at Black Powder events.
I build my safety routine around things that have happened and things that might happen but any real world event always gets top attention.

Pleased to hear you are going to be ok ,but I can remember not that long ago on another post myself and others being pohooed for saying that all loading gear should be on a separate bench behind the firing line and when shooting and loading off the body the horn and bag should be worn on the strong side hip , I sure hope they have all read your post , again I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you have learned from your unfortunate mishap .

"loading off the body the horn and bag should be worn on the strong side hip"
Good to know,....I've always kept my horn and bag opposite,.....Right hand shooter, Left hand bag and horn. Oh well.
Cheers,
R

I will keep my bag and horn on my offside thank you as it keeps the horn further from the gun.

At the range the powder is kept behind the firing line. This means the line with a clear walkway between it and the loading box or bench That was a rule of the 1st congress and at Ft TY. They went by the NMLRA rules.

Glad you were not injured badly.

Rooster, Thank you for this post. I am fairly new to muzzleloaders and no one else at my club shoots a traditional muzzleloader. so no guidance. I am pleased to say that I instinctively developed the habit of keeping my loading materials behind the bench/firing line, but I never thought much about it. I should have. I could just as easily have changed up for some perceived convenience and put myself or others in jeopardy. I also admire when someone makes a mistake, especially an experienced individual, and is willing to share that information to help others as opposed to burying it. Good job.

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

I always wondered about the safety of having the powder on the bench you're shooting from. Not long ago I posted a thread about a RO who insisted I load up at the bench. He was not familiar with the hazards of muzzleloading.

I may discourage loading from a bench with my kids. It seems that when you have your horn hanging by your side plugging the horn becomes part of the routine. Either that or we could go to paper cartridges.

Here in Ozland, using powder horns, or loading from bulk powder containers, is not permitted at SSAA ranges. All powder charges are kept in individual phials. The good thing about this is that you can keep all your powder loads at the shooting bench, which is very convenient (and safe). Priming charges are the only exception, but even these must only be in small priming dispensers. If you need to refill anything this must be done well away from the firing line.

While powder horns have an "aura" about them (and are elegant in their own way) they remain potential bombs, and because we don't have the "history" with them that you colonials have they're not very common here.

Only for one particular discipline , or when shooting from a bench with multiple shooters on the line .
However primitive rendvs matches are loaded off the body , nb different discipline and different RO procedures .

Mmm,I stand corrected (having had no experience with rendvs). As I shoot under the auspices of the SSAA, I have become used to their requirements and actually feel very comfortable with using individual loads. I'm not sure if SARPA have the same rules (because some seemed surprised when I used a loading stand and individual loads at the local pistol range).

From my (admittedly limited) perspective safety is my primary concern, particularly as I'm dealing with an explosive.

Iam SSAA too , but all different disciplines have different requirements mainly due to shooter to RO ratio etc .and the particular match rules ,being in SA it will be well worth your while getting to know Alan and Jenny at GREEN RIVER RIFLE WORKS at Cumberland Park they are the no.1 B/P shop in the country .PS. don't be tricked into thinking loading old school off the body is dangerous it's the user that has the potential for dangerous practices , learn and enjoy but be aware flintlocks are indeed very addictive :)

1601phill said:
but be aware flintlocks are indeed very addictive :)

I'm beginning to suspect that! It's more messing around than a percussion, but I love the challenge of getting it to fire successfully (!), it's a real hoot to use :grin: .

I know Jenny and Allan, in fact Allan built the percussion rifle (back in the 80's) that I bought off a fellow member. Very meticulous work on it.

learn and enjoy but be aware flintlocks are indeed very addictive

Well no duh. If you've ever read a description of how a flintlock works it sounds like a drug-delivery device...

"Pour 3 to 6 grains of very fine [substance] into the pan, and close with the piece of steel. Pull cock back, then hold device 4 inches from face. Trip the trigger and the rock will swing forward delivering a shower of sparks igniting the [substance]. Inhale smoke.... and... smile..."

Latest posts

Back