• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

powder horn leak

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael word

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have just built my first powder horn and there is a small air leak between the base plug and the horn. I epoxied the base plug on and the epoxy dries before I was able to fully seat the plug, so now there is a small leak and and about a 1/16 inch gap all the way around. I have been using tru-oil to slowly fill up the gap but is going very slowly and was wondering if there is a faster and easier way to seal it up.

Depends how "authentic" a fix you want. A gap filling CA type glue will work, as will beeswax or pine pitch, or good old carpenter's glue. Now that you've started with the Tru-Oil you should continue. Not many cements will stick to oil. You can speed it up by adding sawdust (sanding dust, not coarse chunks) to fill quicker.

If you can, get yer hands dirty and then grab some beeswax. That gooey beeswax from toilet seals works great.

Rub that dirt from your hands into the wax and then smear it all over the horn's base.....that should do it.

Remember: put the toilet back so the missus doesn't get upset! :)

I would cut a thin leather shim and glue both sides then force it into the gap, trim flush once dried...

Wrap sinew around the gap - just before you wrap the last wrap, put some glue on the remaining sinew :results:

Back