• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder equivelant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I shoot Goex in my rifle and always run out of main charge FFF before FFFF pan fuel. Is there a conversion chart or rule of thumb that would help me to load FFFF in place of FFF as the main charge? I typically shoot .54 round ball over a load of 75 gr FFF. My brain tells me that the FFFF will pack tighter in the powder measure and therefore will require less - by volume - than the FFF would to get the same muzzle velocity. I would like to shoot up the FFFF and start fresh once it is gone. Save some cash too.

It can be done...kinda, sorta, but it's not a good idea. This topic was discussed in some detail in (Topic#199882)

If you are concerned that the 4F might go bad before its used up, that is not a problem.

Powder kept dry will remain viable for many years. IF, by chance, your powder absorbs ambient moisture over time, becoming "clumpy", it can be dried by turning the wife's oven on the lowest setting and allowing the oven to warm, with the door closed.

Place enough powder to fill your priming horn on some foil placed on a cookie sheet, turn the oven off and place the cookie sheet on the middle rack. Leave the door cracked a bit to allow
any moisture that is driven off the powder to escape.

The powder should be dry by the time the oven cools.

I have done this more times than I care to count, and have never noticed any change in efficiency of the powder.

I am still working on a can of 4F that is probably close to 20 years old, and it's still good.

I only use 4F to prime when competing in line shoots. I normally prime from the main horn when hunting or trekking, my most common BP activiies.
J.D.

Please see paulvallandigham's post in the thread "Can I use 4F in" in this same forum.

Regards, Dave

Thanks to one and all. I got the message -- and I will not be using FFFF as a main charge, reduced or otherwise. It is not worth the risks.

Back