• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

powder charge for deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI my 50 sighted at 75 yards with 80 gr. 2f is dead on at 25 yards with 50 gr. 2f.
Don't be afraid to try several differant loads at differant ranges.

I'll chime in here too. Find your most accurate load, and you'll have a deer gun that is good out to 75 or 80 yards easy. I started with a Traditions and took my first and only deer to date (grumble) with a .490 ball and 60gr of 2F. The shot was 40yds broadside and a complete pass- through.

I later went to a thicker patch and was able to get the charge up to 70gr of 2F and I could hold a 2in group at 75 yards with that. I hunted with that load until my .58 rifle arrived.

My deer load in my 50 cal (49 really) is 120 grs FFFg a .015 pillow ticking patch and .480 rb. It works like a charm on deer - knocked a nice buck pretty much dead in his tracks (went maybe 6 ft)this year - didn't recover the ball - it did not pass through however.

kjb said:
It's 50 cal. shooting patched round balls. I wasn't planning on shooting any farther than 50 yds.

Only testing will give the accuracy load.
It will shoot "minute of deer" with 75 gr of fff. But may like more. Or it might like ff.

With 75+ its killing deer to 100 is easy if you practice. Sight for 1" high at 100 with a heavy load, 90 fff has been a long time favorite of mine in 50s. Will not fall off a deer with a center hold to 120+

Dan

My sons first deer was a one shot kill at about 40 yards with a .45 with 45 gr of FFF.
Place the shot right = dead deer.

Dan

I have found 70-80 gr 3f to do well in several .50 rifles and usually this will give one the sight picture that you can aim at the same spot from the muzzle out to 100 yds if the gun is sighted ON at 80-90 yds and the ball will be right on or a bit high or a bit low but always in the kill zone, takes all the hold over/under buisness out of the equation, always test this tradjectory at the range before hunting.I think it is always best to keep the shots at 75 yds or less just to keep as much of a hedge against any mishaps as posible.

I have taken the long way around to find out that somewhere near 70 grs is a accurate load for most guns. Maybe the best load for many rifles. Plus it gives you 100 shots per pound and the bullets come one hundred to a box. What more could you want? I shot my first, and only, deer with 80 grs in my TC Hawken. I don't know why just seemed like 80 was better but I very much doubt it now, so I stick with 70.

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you. Although I have used 90g of 3f hunting. I tested it at the range first and was right on. The most accurate load for my 1:56 Colerain 50cal. barrel is 60g and it is what I use in competition.

My best friend and I was trying out his 54 cal T/C hawken and started with 50 grs. FFg. It shot one ragged hole at 50 yards. I suggested upping the charge and he said heck no!!! He took a nice 8 pt buck (out of MY stand!!) at about 40 yards, complete pass-thru the heart. Buck dropped his tail and ran about 50 yards and fell over.

Moral of the story? Dont let your best friend use your stand !!! :rotf: And 50 grs. FFg will kill in a 54 cal.

Eterry

75grains 2fg Goex and a .550 patched ball in my old double took a moose at 100 paces no problem , it ran maybe 50 yds and fell over. my 50 cal has taken many deer with 70gr 2fg between 50 and 100 yds. cheers Ian.

Work up the best load for your rifle. In my .54 I use 70gr of 3F. Have taken 5 deer in last two years all pass throughs. I do not see the need for more power. The key is bullet placement. I shoot the same load all the time wheather hunting targer practice ect.

I wish I knew. Two years doing this now, loaded with a R.E.A.L. in .54 above 75 gr. 2F in a Pedersoli Jaeger, and I haven't seen a thing.

Of course, I go to the range and two guys who are there say, Oh yeah, last week we got two right there (where I was) and seen three more.

(Sigh) :(

The Doc is out now. :thumbsup:

I don't know the specifics of it but the public land between Hamilton and Warsaw on the "old road" is open to firearm deer hunting. And so is Weinberg-King in Augusta. You have to reserve it though and get some kind of approval from Springfield saying you can carry a gun there or something. Look on the DNR's website there is more info. and you may not be too late for it. And I've heard the Warsaw place isn't too bad. And I saw 8 deer run across the road leading into the public land tonight.

Back