• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Cans

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mec

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wondering about the approximate age of a can of dupont 2fg. It predates the rectangular cans used during the last years of production. It is marked "1924" and is a flat oval shaped much like a pocket whiskey flask.

Does anybody know the date range on this can design?

I can't help you with a date, but I did just see some of the same style of can on e-bay and they were over $30.00 for them and were still getting bids. I bid on one and wasn't even close, so it had to be way over $30.00

They are from the early part of the 20th century and are fairly commom. I see them a gunshows and flea markets and they seem to sell from $15.00 to $35.00 depending on the condition.

Regards, Dave

a friend got some in an old collection. I'm curious because there was some 2f g in the bottom of one of them. It was about 50 fps slower and more consistent shot to shot than modern goex 2f.

Dupont was in the black powder business from 1912 until they sold out or became Gerhardt Owens and then Goex. In the latter years, the cans were rectangular like modern rifle powder.

mec said:
Dupont was in the black powder business from 1912 until they sold out or became Gerhardt Owens and then Goex.

The Duponts were origionally recruited into America by Thomas Jefferson in the early 1800s. They already had a powder dynasty in France and Jefferson met them in his duties as ambasador He made them an offer they could not refuse when he became president.

You are right about that-1800. I wonder where I got the 1912 date. Dug around a little and found that that was the year DuPont got hit with anti-trust suits and had to get rid of the Laughlin and Rand Company, Maybe it was the first year for a while that they actually used the DuPont name on the powder cans

Back