• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Original .56cal Jaeger Percussion Pillar Breech

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have for sale an original Jaeger 56cal pillar breech rifle circa 1847 to 1865 in remarkable shape. This rifle has a Germanic flare to it but could also be Danish there are some markings on the side flats but you can only see the tops and I have not been interested enough to pull the barrel to check.
I originaly intended to hunt with this rifle but health problems and age have put an end to anything strenuous. It is fully shootable and the condition for a 150+ year old rifle is amazing. The rifling is strong and appears to be a 1/25 twist the bore is a bit dark but I see no pitting. The barrel is swamped and has a two leaf rear sight and the nipple is free and easily removed. The lock is a short throw and is in perfect shape mechanicaly and only showing a few polish marks on the plate. The stock is in amazing shape and the only detractions is a small stable crack in front of the lock bolt washer. The wooden patchbox slides freely and the checkering is crisp but does not show signs of touchup.
Sharp eyes have probably noticed the strange ramrod. It is steel with a bulbous end and identifies the rifle as a pillar breech. For those not familiar with the term it was an 1847 invention by a Frenchman and predated the mini ball for loading an undersize conical bullet into a rifle. With the pillar breech an undersized flat based bullet is slid down the barrel to come to rest on a post or pillar extending from the face of the breechplug. The steel ramrod is then given a swift downward thrust against the bullet with the base being expanded by the pillar. The system was quite successul but was eventually replaced by the mini bullet. My original idea was to cast up some .54 minis and bump up the base a bit and ignore the pillar. That never came to pass and the rifle has been a safe queen for a number of years. Time to pass it along to someone who will put it to use.
The weight of the rifle is 7lbs 12oz, barrel length is 29in, overall length is 44in and length of pull is 13&1/2in. The nose cap appears to be horn and triggerguard and butplate are brass as are the thimbles. The ramrod is hard to pull out and the channel could use relieved a bit.
I am asking $1050 plus shipping anywhere in the CONUS it is legal to ship to. Payment by postal money order or personal check with time to clear.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Additional photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 0
A beauty in great condition & a real bargain !
Your rifle is almost a twin to my original Danish built Jaeger in .70 cal. by I.C. Huagaard in Kiobenhaven.
It has deep 7 grove fast twist rifling & I can honestly say it's the most accurate PRB rifle i've ever owned.
Keep us posted on how it performs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back