• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pork Jerky?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about trichenosis, but what about a well baked ham that's been laid out and dried? Granted, I'm not going against traditional wisdom and trying this myself:youcrazy:. I may be referred to as "lead belly" from time-to-time, but never "Iron Gut"! :winking:

As I understand it.... once the meat has been actually cooked, it won't keep. You want it dried, not cooked (think rawhide).

Maybe someone here knows the details of how/why this is.... But you'll need to either desicate it (bone dry), or salt the living heck out of it if you want to walk around with it.

Legion

Skagun When I get a deer I take the back hams to butcher shop and they cure&smoke them when they run their hams and bacons thru. I get them ready and drop off and they call when done.12.00. I took one out west in cloth bag and ate off of it, no problem this in June. Taste just like ham really good. Anybody who tastes them like it. Dilly

:hmm: Heck! With beef, buffalo, and venison jerky available, who would want pork? :rotf:

Heck, beef works so well jerked I thought I'd give other things a try. My next experiment is to jerk Jello, I just gotta figure a way to keep the slices on the rack! :rotf:

You just let me know when you get around to pudding..... I expect you'll fully document this with photos.....

Waiting impatiently,

Legion

I work with a lady from the Philippines and they make a pork jerky. But the rehydrate it and thoroughly cook the meat before serving.

Hi Skagun
I hope you are do'en fine... Look why not add beans to it then it'll be pork and beans "jerky" :rotf:
how's it going bud?
best regards loyalistdawg... say that is actually a good ider... I am going to try that :hatsoff:

My understanding is that it is the fat content in pork that makes it a poor candidate for jerky. However, the old time salt cured, smoked bacon holds up well without refrigeration. The first time I bought some I was told not to worry about keeping it cool, just "scrape the green fuzz off before you soak it and cook it". I had a slab of it out in my workshop for about 3 months, ate some of it with no ill effects. You do have to soak it quite a while before cooking, and even then it eats hard. My wife uses it (with excellent results) for larding turkeys, and other "seasoning" types of use.
Back to the original question, I remember reading what was supposed to be an "old indian saying" that you could make jerky out of anything but a pig or an enlishman.

HEY LD, How ya doin? good to hear from ya.

I like that idea, "Pork and beans jerky" but how do you keep the beans on the grate? :winking:

I've made jerky out of all kinds of meat. Things like turkey, chicken, goose, duck and pork need to be cooked first. Cut off any fat, once it's cooked, soak it in salt solution and dry it, just like jerky. I've done this a bunch with out any problems at all.
The simplest way to salt the meat is to use straight soy sauce. I add sugar to cut the salty taste.
On stuff like hamburger that's greasy, cook it up first. Soak all the grease up in paper towel then dry it. When it's dry, Roll it in flour to soak up the remaining oil. Now greasy stuff has a short shelf life but I often prepare hamburger this way for bicsuits and gravy when I'm on a treck. Just add water and milk powder to the hamburger and you're eat'n gravy.

My grandma used to keep cooked pork in a ceramic jar. Put pieces of wood on the bottom of a clean jar, put a layer of cooked pork like pork chops in. Cover with hot rendered fat and keep layering it in until the jar is full. When the lard turns solid, your food is going to keep for a very long time. Mold don't matter, just scrape it off and your good.

Regards

Wounded Knee

Loyd said:
I've made jerky out of all kinds of meat. Things like turkey, chicken, goose, duck and pork need to be cooked first. Cut off any fat, once it's cooked, soak it in salt solution and dry it, just like jerky. I've done this a bunch with out any problems at all.
The simplest way to salt the meat is to use straight soy sauce. I add sugar to cut the salty taste.
On stuff like hamburger that's greasy, cook it up first. Soak all the grease up in paper towel then dry it. When it's dry, Roll it in flour to soak up the remaining oil. Now greasy stuff has a short shelf life but I often prepare hamburger this way for bicsuits and gravy when I'm on a treck. Just add water and milk powder to the hamburger and you're eat'n gravy.

My grandma used to keep cooked pork in a ceramic jar. Put pieces of wood on the bottom of a clean jar, put a layer of cooked pork like pork chops in. Cover with hot rendered fat and keep layering it in until the jar is full. When the lard turns solid, your food is going to keep for a very long time. Mold don't matter, just scrape it off and your good.

Regards

Wounded Knee
I've eaten "canned Sausage" My aunt prepared, and it tasted, as best I can recall, the same as fresh cooked. it was prepared as you said, the meat was fried up and stuffed in a Mason jar and sealed with fat.
On a side note, I was talking with a friend who had recently returned fromn the Middle East, and he remarked that the French stationed with hium had a type of pork Jerky.

Back