• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pops Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smokepole................Nice old knife. Brings back memories from the 1970's when the State opened up the first 2 wk. late m/l deer season here in Pa. We would get between 4 and 12 deer in those two weeks with our flint lock rifles , depending on the number of tags we had. Once one was down, the guttin' happens. We did enough of it to get proficient doing it. My favorite knife was made of a broken off WW-1 Pattern -17 Enfield bayonet. Blade was about 7 " long and was of non-ductile steel that could only be broken to length by putting the bayonet in a vise and hitting it sideways with a hammer. Think I only sharpened it twice , that I can remember. I liked it because you could cut right up through the ribs and pull the windpipe , heart , and lungs in one slice. Gave it to my son , he used it 'til he passed , and It's just in a box in the shop. Have to find a new young deer hunter to pass it on ...............oldwood

I just noticed that I spelled Solingen wrong and it's too late to correct it.
Sam, it might have been "auto-correct," or "spell-check," or whatever the designer of this board chose to call it, and not your error. This particular board has the most aggressive auto correct I've ever seen, and it wants to change even some very commonly used words. I have to go back and "fix" some of them multiple times. I think the edit window is only 20-30 minutes long, too. If errors aren't caught and corrected right away, they're in there for good.

You did a good job posting pictures. That's a fine old knife.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Thanks, Notchy Bob I guess that is what happened and thanks for saying I did a good job with the pictures.I appreciate the encouraging words.
Sam

I just gave my son my Case folder. The blades are carbon steel, one blade is pointed and the other is swept up at the tip. I've had that knife since the early 70"s. That knife was sharp. I t could cut through the breast bone of a deer, and still shave the hair off of your arm. Years ago I made a knife for my son. I worked in in a machine shop and the piece of scrap that I used was supposedly the same alloy used for armor on WWII battleships. I did this by the stock removal method. I heat treaded with an aceteleyne torch. I shaped it like a Nessmuk knife, it is 1/4 " thick. It will gut and skin a deer or a squirrel. The only thing it won't do is get my son excited enough to trey making his own equipment.

Back