• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor mans shot pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cake

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ha y'all I just bought my first muzzleloader shotgun and I'm starting to buy all the accesories.I was wondering what you guys use for a shot pouch? I can't afford a$100 fancy leather one right now but don't want to head into the woods with a soda bottle either. Is there some middle ground? I'm open to suggestions what do you use?

I'm assuming you're looking for something to put the shot in, as opposed to the bag that you carry all the gear for the gun in? I ask because the bag is also called a shot pouch by some.

If a container for shot is what you are looking for, the small horns called priming horns or day horns make very good containers, and were used as such historically as well (they were also used for percussion caps, too).

Rod

I have a small leather bag that I made of some cheap leather from the craft store hanging from my shooting bag. Within it are 6 to 8 sections of bamboo a little more than finger thick cut with a node at one end as a natural stopper, the cut end is filed to somewhat of a flair or cone and closed with a small cork, each contains a premeasured shot charge. Everything to make the set up was purchased at a crafts store for well under $100,probably less than $50, with materials leftover.

I weigh out my shot and put a charge in a plastic tube sold by a fellow in Neb. for $0.38/each. I bought 40 of them with different colored caps and put shot in white and powder in red. Quick and easy reloads that you can carry in your pockets.

You could always make a small leather or canvas pouch with a drawstring at the top. Just carry a shot measure and scoop it out as you need it, pulling the drawstring tight when done and put it back into your shooting bag.

cake said:
I'm open to suggestions what do you use?
Lots of ways to carry powder / ball / shot so I’m just tossing out a few I’ve tried as examples that might give you some ideas.
The paper shot carriers worked well for me on a dove field and squirrel hunting. I only had blue paper on hand to experiment at the range and make the photo”¦switched to brown grocery bag paper for actual field use.

[/QUOTE]

I use film cans for powder n shot. I do have the shot bags though but film cans are fast too. I used a ziplock and a flask when I started, poured powder in the measure from the flask then dipped a load of shot outta a zip lock. Worked well for awhile (kind red neck, I know)

That's kinda the ubiquitous "first shot pouch" I think we've all had -- I still use one just like that (not CVA, or at least not marked -- I can't even remember how old it is.

Small leather or decent cloth bags kept inside a slung possibles or belt bag are great for carrying a handful of ball or a palmfull of buckshot for buck-n-ball if you aren't loading cartridges...

Thosr are pretty good Ideas, I found some wodden needle holders at joann fabrics the other day...and what do ya know...they hold 1 1/4 oz of #7 shot....guess ya cant go wrong for 6.00$

Wow thanks for the quick response. I think I'll get that cheap cva pouch for now to work on my loads and switch to film canisters when I find I find a load I like

I use a plastic bottle I got at Gander Mountain that was made for plastic BB's.It has a spout with a cap on the top.Perfect for shot.I also use large,plastic,medication bottles or containers.They are free and will hold enough shot for a day in the woods.

I made my own out of blacksmith side leather to hold a pound of shot. The only "fancy" feature is the pug is hollowed out to hold 1-1/4 oz of shot as a measure.
HPIM1204.jpg

HPIM1205.jpg

Works with rock locks or cap guns.
DSCN0156.jpg

HPIM1208.jpg

Very nice! I have several ball bags by Cutfinger and they would work well. That plug/measure is a great idea! Check out our want adds.

Geo. T.

Back