• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor frizen to pan fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Sloniger

40 Cal
Reaction score
I bought and assembled a Pedersoli Indian trade .62. Cal. Smoothbore 2 winters ago. Ive hunted with it quite a bit but the pan/frizen never seals, in fact it has a major gap all the way around.

After looking it over I’ve come to the conclusion that the bolt hole alignment is the issue. If I remove the frizzen mounting bolt I can get a near perfect fit But then the bolt hole is off by about 1/3 size of the hole.

Is their someone that y’all can recommend that I can send my lock to properly fit a new frizen?

Thanks in advance for your input.

PS. Not a rookie flintlock user but most definitely a rookie garage gun smith😄

I had a couple of locks like that, I posted the problem and a guy offered to fix it and did a really good job for a reasonable price but I don't know if he would want to fix another one. He welded up the previous bolt hole and drilled another one.

I have an old Gustomsky trade gun with a huge gap on the pan fit, The hole is so far off it doesn't look like it could be re-drilled with the existing metal.

I understand Brad Eming at Cabin Creek is the go to lock guy, perhaps you should give him a call. When I pull up their website I get a risky site warning, someone must have hacked them. Their Facebook page is OK.

(717) 757-5841

https://www.facebook.com/CabinCreekMuzzleloading/

I had a couple of locks like that, I posted the problem and a guy offered to fix it and did a really good job for a reasonable price but I don't know if he would want to fix another one. He welded up the previous bolt hole and drilled another one.

I have an old Gustomsky trade gun with a huge gap on the pan fit, The hole is so far off it doesn't look like it could be re-drilled with the existing metal.

I understand Brad Eming at Cabin Creek is the go to lock guy, perhaps you should give him a call. When I pull up their website I get a risky site warning, someone must have hacked them. Their Facebook page is OK.

(717) 757-5841

https://www.facebook.com/CabinCreekMuzzleloading/
Thanks!! That’s who my web search led me to also. Same here trying to pull up his web page..something wrong for sure. I’ll give him a call today.

I bought and assembled a Pedersoli Indian trade .62. Cal. Smoothbore 2 winters ago. Ive hunted with it quite a bit but the pan/frizen never seals, in fact it has a major gap all the way around.

After looking it over I’ve come to the conclusion that the bolt hole alignment is the issue. If I remove the frizzen mounting bolt I can get a near perfect fit But then the bolt hole is off by about 1/3 size of the hole.

Is their someone that y’all can recommend that I can send my lock to properly fit a new frizen?

Thanks in advance for your input.

PS. Not a rookie flintlock user but most definitely a rookie garage gun smith😄
I wonder if the issue is perhaps lock plate warp from heat treat rather than hole misalignment ? To check ,lay flat on piece of glass plate. A warp can appear as hole misalignment in certain instances.

I wonder if the issue is perhaps lock plate warp from heat treat rather than hole misalignment ? To check ,lay flat on piece of glass plate. A warp can appear as hole misalignment in certain instances.
I’ll look at that this afternoon and also post some pictures.

Not sure what lock you have, but starting with a soft frizzen (pre heat treatment) with no bolt hole thru it, you or someone could mate it up to the hole in the lock, possibly. As another option, I would think any decent machine shop could permanently plug the off location hole in the lock plate, giving you a clean slate to start over with. Do you know any machinists or tool makers?

Not sure what lock you have, but starting with a soft frizzen (pre heat treatment) with no bolt hole thru it, you or someone could mate it up to the hole in the lock, possibly. As another option, I would think any decent machine shop could permanently plug the off location hole in the lock plate, giving you a clean slate to start over with. Do you know any machinists or tool makers?
Thanks for your input. Gonna post an update.

97A58551-88B4-4F13-9426-7F726F2F1577.jpeg

Attachments

• 1DC9FC53-D12B-4843-B212-A75E4660D399.jpeg
    1DC9FC53-D12B-4843-B212-A75E4660D399.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
So it wasn’t the bolt hole. The area where it hinges needed filed out just a smidge. Looks like maybe it was overlooked when the lock was assembled. It was actually kind of a jagged edge.

almost perfect close now…just a tiny bit of light getting through. Maybe I’ll use a transfer goo to mark any high spots so I can get it perfect. Either way, the fffg isn’t going to easily escape the pan now.

Latest posts

Back