• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor Big Ted!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nearly never got a look at a pheasant this season!
I nearly passed out cold last night when I suddenly remembered Big Ted the ten gauge hadne been out this pheasant season, that incidentally finishes next week!
So I readied the gun and bag the night before, finished work at two today, rushed home, grabbed Jess and the gun and shot out for the last light.

Now I want to say it was a text book success but it wasn't text book.. first off I was using to much powder and ended up not killing a bird and well, securing the bird was a bit ugly 🤦. Then I missed a second bird which should of been easy!
Then I remembered. 3/4 the volume of shot Muppet!
Not only did the gun feel better and sound better but the birds then started dropping out of the sky, well the next three did anyway. I did miss a couple again though. I think I missed about four in total.
This ten gauge is awesome with fine powder and 1.5oz of #5 shot. Just at 3/4 volume. No idea what the weight is.

Thanks to Jess I got that runner.
IMG_20240126_165701.jpg

Wads today were my usual, just thin cards and some thin leather was also mixed in.
IMG_20240126_153309.jpg

I know what ya mean, as I get older I seem to find myself making similar mistakes in life. I can easily see loading square vs 3/4. After all if yer like me you dont need to stinking notebook, you know yer guns and so we load the 10 like the 12 etc. HA! I am ready to admit I am aging and now seek His grace in doing it gracefully! I may indeed need to reduce inventory (or get the stinkin notebook LOL)

THANK GOD!!! When I first saw the post title I thought that maybe you hadn't cleaned Big Ted for 7 or 8 months and you found a spot of rust on him, or some other major physical disaster like accidently using 1F or 2F!!! 😲

So glad it was that you only almost hurt Ted's feelings!

Great hunt! Jess looks so small compared to those birds. Small...but MIGHTY! 👍😁

THANK GOD!!! When I first saw the post title I thought that maybe you hadn't cleaned Big Ted for 7 or 8 months and you found a spot of rust on him, or some other major physical disaster like accidently using 1F or 2F!!! 😲

So glad it was that you only almost hurt Ted's feelings!

Great hunt! Jess looks so small compared to those birds. Small...but MIGHTY! 👍😁
Jess is getting old and wasn't to interested in my attempts to find the runner at first.
When I did find it she was more interested in looking for squirrels. I tried to do an impression of a pouncing fox on the tucked up bird that looked more like a belly flop to any observer and the bird escaped again!
At this point Jess came over to see what I was doing out of sympathy I think and finally picked a scent up. Then she woke up and started hunting the bird!
Eventually she found and held it in the thickest baddest black thorn thicket on the dam place, oh and she doesn't do retrieves!!! 😤.
Slightly annoying because it was under our noses at one point but she couldn't smell it.
I'm sure these birds can pull their feathers tight and eliminate any scent!

Back