• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pondering a Build Walnut w/Colerain C 54 (?)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just made a deal with a feller for a Black Walnut Blank that has a C weight 44" 54cal Colerain inlet. That's all I have,, the breeched barrel inlet in the Walnut stock.

This will be next years build.

Now, What to do with'm? :hmm:

This is going to be a Flinter, and I wanna use Brass hardware as trying to polish iron is a pita!

So I'm wondering, where will a Walnut stock fit into a history?
I mean I could just slap it all together and call it a long gun, but I'd like to follow some "school", not a copy of an original mind ya but modeled after,,,????

It'll be a Chambers lock, I want a simple, reliable, quick lock,, The Deluxe Siler, Ketland, Late Ketland?
The door is wide open, what do you guy's think it could be?

Too help narrow it a bit, the build after this will be a Tulle of French fusil smoothy,,

For American Walnut pretty much any era will do.While it was rare it was used enough to be correct from 1760 and up.Heres a link to a gun I did last year in walnut 1770-80 Reading PA.Link; Reading Gun

Mitch Yates

A C weight in .54 is a great barrel for Revolutionary War era rifles. You've got a lot of choices; a lot of great originals stocked in walnut come to mind and as Mitch says, it's rare on longrifles compared to maple but many examples are out there. Offhand, Reading, Lancaster and Lehigh-ish walnut stocked original Pennsylvania rifles come to mind, a cool Southern rifle (#124 in Rifles of Colonial America by Shumway), and the iron mounted "black" rifles out of Virginia that Wallace Gusler has shown us. But you are preferring brass mounts on this one.

# 137 is also walnut stocked with a 44 1/8'' barrel. I aint real crazy about the carving but its a neat gun.

LUCKY FELLER!!! :hatsoff:

I have another barrel comming in the fall...and i will walnut this one, I like the 1770 era...after making 2 'slimasParis' models....I'm 'going home' with my next one.....horsehead PB, flinter...some carving yet to be determined....

walnut and cherry grew lots of places in early america......so I think what you want was made back then~
I like dark woods stocks.... :youcrazy:

Well that's all good to know fellers, looks like the doors wide open.
Won't get a 1st hand look at the wood till I pick it up this weekend, but it looked pretty plain Jane by the photos, a little curl in the lower and upper forearm.
But the price is right.(you guys would be sad if I told ya)
(part trade, part dollars)
I'm guessing I'll use the Chambers Deluxe Siler, maybe that new "Dale Johnson" Chambers makes. I have all summer to research and will be picking the brains of the flint lock shooters I know. Stay with an older styled build, might end up just calling it a long rifle,(?)
Kinda looking forward to cutting on Walnut for a change, the butt section on this maple I'm carving now has grain going 3 different directions ! :youcrazy:

Got good advise from you kaintuck,
"Cut small, make small chips"!!

I'd go w/ an early Virginia and spend some time finding the correct Virginia brass hardware...especially the trigger guard which adds so much to the "looks" of this style. Seeing the early Virginia LRs are similar to Lancasters, the Dale Johnson because of it's slightly curved bottom outline of the plate and the lower "tail" which easily aligns w/ the wrist, would be an excellent choice. I'm partial to this lock, although the plate has to have the bevel filed.

Good luck and post pics of your choice and progress.

Below is a Lancaster that was built a few years ago using a Dale Johnson....Fred

Latest posts

Back