• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C .54 cal Hawken Flintlock refinishing completed!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was my first attempt at completely refinishing a gun. I stripped the factory bluing off the barrel and used Plum Brown for the new. I sanded the factory finish off the stock then removed the old walnut stain with bleach and rinsing it off with water. Then diluted the cherry stain by half and applied two coats. Hand rubbed seven coats of Permalyn for the finish and finished it off with lemon beeswax. Bought a new L&R lock and new trigger assembly. I cased colored the plate and browned the hammer and frizzen. Next I will make a leather sling and case for it. After I get the new chicken coop build comes working on my Uberti Colt Walker kit.

Attachments

• HAWKEN RIFLE.JPG
    HAWKEN RIFLE.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 7
Very, very nice. Good job. However, I can't seem to get past that squared off look where the ramrod enters. I have no idea how to change that and it is there on most all half stock guns that supposedly are copies of a plains rifle. Lyman GPRs were more authentic in that regard. That is my problem, not yours. It is just a thing that turns me away from T/Cs, although they all were quality pieces. I mean to say they have other indicators of originals but then spoil them with that one thing.

Who says you can't make a silk purse from a pig's ear?! Actually, I like my TC Renegades just fine. Great shooters with the right loads. Yours looks better for sure. lol

Latest posts

Back