• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings from New England

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaneP

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello and glad to be here. Long time BP enthusiast, started very early (45 years ago) and have been at it on and off to this day. Work and life got in the way along the way but I always came back to the charcoal burners. Most of my BP shooting has been either percussion revolvers or metallic cartridges, including .45 Colt and .45-70 in a Springfield TD.

Recently got an itch to get a Hawken-style big bore (something I've never owned) and grabbed a .50 cal Pedersoli Lyman Great Plains Hunter. With less than 2 years to retirement I want to eventually get this in the woods and hopefully fill a tag. I took advantage of an unusually warm (60 degree) northeast December day to get out to the range today. This was a hurried trip, so I didn't get to focus on details, mainly just to pull the trigger and send lead down range, then back to the house. It felt great to get off a few rounds though.

This version has a fast twist (1:24) so I wasn't sure if it would do anything with a .490 patched round ball. Patches were pre-lubed .010" and were a little snug, but not overly so. Keeping charge weight down to 50-60 grains, it held "minute of deer" at 50 yards. Nothing great for sure (3 shots into roughly 4"), but this is just the beginning of what will probably be a long load testing sequence over time. I have a Lee REAL conical bullet mold on back order, and that's where I'm hoping it's true group potential will occur.

The Pedersoli I have has .006" rifling and a 30" bbl, fiber optic rear sight and brass bead front. No issues of any sort with ignition using Goex FFg and Remington #11's. I like it.👍

AM-JKLV2kG9Xy_6BVghNst9XFsX1rQhVvpzzskERmATMfluNmlZATw4BtSeIlJ6yTpcK7tVLXctsF_j_EUZvL2xKExTa7FaF4AxtVjuYfq6vAX_VE1e1w0qpUagQDaxkTXfTSj9J9iME5WEAuaYDXz3klpKUZg=w1200-h267-no

AM-JKLU6SkinSyhySrSsriIx-GG1M5Qt_uMVd5Rs8WpfaoIm-3Gi3TypI4aDxeMnRDyJKlERXGzTW9z6jtaIuL17yI-75CPRP1C-tUIqKGBkoqLqZymVpuRkFz9Tw1wyPyHpRKZ_-CSR7CYeiDcqxNXU0v8lUA=w1200-h800-no

AM-JKLUI8qInHnr3dYykqTHgrgyucl9VIiVD3BkiyToLntGIaxYoINR9khiDENb3r0EFZnGnxZ9dZmZt7geX51A4QZ_KOj5WslzNdHnVXwCbAInahGAfvmIhbgD150Af6UICYdms7dmyoayqw9sd3NV8j4r9ww=w1200-h800-no

AM-JKLUaOvHROF3T81dDAOEpg7wf5VYgeg7lXmW91FRIfID03FSxTeYyUU6pmduPb4H3iqoOjOVvuj0y40gLzcYgHRNtmJlTf5E-Vh9G7xYVbay1OA_nDAwq0J55pu3SC-jh9SkoScsMPjD_HfhPLXVGb4aFjw=w1200-h800-no

AM-JKLUnegElQY3MeTzMwhG4ddlq81zSqMW4GvJPca5S3KRt07ul32K4JMw2OEMFnBwCFITtGuwcajwmtUsvEmh7xJW2VUHMRPOXbwfspME4x0Ly7JrjMtFmJu7JaS5U_4GDdoUFgXXzHSjI57OQopklb8AUTA=w1200-h800-no

Back