• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poldark on PBS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We often get our breeches all in an uproar when US television programs do historical presentations so poorly. Take a look at Loyalist Dave's review of "Hawkeye".

Then we go across the pond and get programs such as "Poldark" from the BBC. "Poldark" is based on the novels by Winston Graham about a British Army Officer returned from the AWI to turbulent times in 1780's Cornwall, England. The plot of the series as available on demand viewing from your local Public Broadcasting Station is the difficulties of the returning Ross Poldark. He has been reported as dead while he was held as a prisoner of war after suffering a face disfiguring scar during his capture.

He returns home to find that his father has died, his fiancée is now engaged to his much richer cousin and Ross's property is in near ruin. The first season covers his trials to overcome the financial disasters and trying to apply his own progressive sensibilities to the workers still in the mines and on the farms.

He has the class struggles to overcome as he falls in love with the waif, Demelza.

The story in and of itself makes the series worth watching. The attention to detail in the presentation of the material culture of the time is exceptional.

The PBS web site has the episodes available for view on demand. They also have clips on the costuming and clips on learning the proper dancing. You look as the sets and scenery and the presentation is 18th century spot on.

Headgear is correct. Only while Demelza is the totally uncultured waif, does she go out with her head uncovered. Elbows and ankles are covered.

So far the firearms have all been flintlock. They don't do much in the way of reloading, but the firing is definitely done with functioning flintlocks.

There are two versions of the series. The first series was presented in 1976. The Season one was presented last June 2015 and the next Series is expected in June of this year.

Even the 1976 series paid proper attention to the 18th century details. The sets and outdoor scenery are better now.

Its worth it to see the program if you have to go to the library or stream it from your local PBS station.

I have seen it on PBS (later version) and wondered what happened to the rest of the series. I thought it was very good - I will have to keep an eye out for the follow-on series. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the recommendation. I rather enjoyed the first episode. You are correct in their level of realism in portraying material culture, especially the poor folks. That roughness is achieved in other good period pieces.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back