• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please post pictures of your straight grain & curly Maple stocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grenadier, can you post a pic of the bottom side/belly of the first rifle? i`d like to see some detail of the inlay.

flehto said:
I think I copied your Pbox design on your Virginia LR except it's browned steel...not intentionally.

No raised lid on mine, so you're safe, Fred! :wink:

My .54 Virginia was built by Larry Williams. I bought it on the ToTW consignments as used, so have no idea when it was built, so perhaps he copied yours! :hmm: :grin:

This is a rifle that Mitch Yates is currently building for me.

This is my Frank Bartlett rifle.

This is my Frank Bartlett rifle.

It is just a matter of personal preference and how much you want to spend. I like the curl, and my thoughts are I am going to buy the best that I can afford. I have not built very many rifles and the the one Mitch is making for me is the first and most likely the only fully custom rifle I will have made for me.

Fleener

Hi....The LR that Yates is building for you has a lot of curl and when finished will be beautiful. His carving is very artistic and "clean".

By the way....noticed that the Bplate and TG are from Chambers.....is this his early Lancaster?. Have built 3 of these and they make up into beautiful LRs......of course none of mine had such curly wood. I suppose you're looking forward "to the day" and I think you'll be more than pleased......Fred

It is a Christian Springs, Dickert style.

The stock came from Jim Kimbler. Jim thought it was too nice for his kit rifles, so he sold it to me at a great price IMO ($400).

It has been a long wait. Been a year and half so far. Mitch was recently shooting for having it completed and to me by the end of this month. I am thinking it will be in March now.

Mitch has been great to work with. Communicates with me and keeps me posted.

I had picked out a very nice stock that Mitch had on hand. Mitch knew I was wanting a nicer stock if possible without breaking the bank. So, he went to a show and found this one from Jim, it is actually less money then the stock I had picked up from himself.

There were several reasons I picked Mitch to build this rifle for me. So far I am certainly not disappointed.

Fleener

The wearplate is the standard brass wearplate with no embellishment or engraving. Engraving is sttill beyond my capability.

Its the same wearplate as offered by Muzzle Loaders Building Supply.

My TVM rifles I built, the TN and the SMR, both of which were ordered with plain maple. The SMR is well endowed in comparison to the absolutely plain TN I would have to say. Also pictured is my unmarked custom smoothbore.

Back