• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plans for a Parilla?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES, that's a Parilla but I'm looking for a traditional one & without all that poured concrete & that is simple enough to be a DIY project.

THANKS, satx

Could you make it from adobe? It's easy to make? An adobe plaster on a wood frame a true lime sand and hair plaster on a wood frame would handle cooking temps??? Would be a fun project

YEP. A fellow certainly could build with adobe or "cob" IF he had an actual plan, as the parilla won't "draw" properly if the chimney to firebox ratio isn't correct.
(I was told, by several people, when I lived in South America that the difference in a parilla that works properly & one that doesn't is a "fairly thin ribbon".)

yours, satx

IF it was as simple as stacking a lot of "cobs", making adobe bricks and/or molding adobe into a platform/firebox/chimney & procuring some slabs of cut stone for the middle "floors", I would already be cutting honey/black locust trees for "reinforcements" & "mixing mud".

This (if done at all,) will be really "hand labor intensive" & I really don't want to invest all that labor to end up with a cooking system that works poorly or (basically) not at all.

yours, satx

Is the difference between the modern and older version of your 'potential project' primarily the materials?

Truthfully, I'm NOT at all sure, as I've not been able to thoroughly examine a traditional parilla that was not completed/in use in Latin America.
(The ones that I saw & ate food from certainly LOOKED different externally. - The interior was not visible or possible to examine internally, as they are generally kept hot 24/365.)

yours, satx

Actually it would be the materials. The ratios would not change between concrete, brick, stone, or cob, just the thickness perhaps with softer materials. Modern, prefab, concrete, woodfired ovens are subject to the exact same ratios as is the builder of the cob-clay woodfired oven. My neighbor has a woodfired oven in his back yard that is a copy of a Renaissance version he saw in Italy..., the ratios are the same for the clay oven that Jas Townsend builds in his videos. The same would be true for the wood grill that had a chimney, or copying a hearth & chimney for cooking from an 18th century home.

LD

I think you are suggesting what I was considering; the inside dimensions of a modern Parilla, that works very well, would be very similar to those of an older one. The outside dimensions would vary, depending upon materials and the whims of the builder.

Back