• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plans for a Parilla?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Friends,

I'm looking for a set of plans for a traditional PARILLA, that is designed for being "home-brewed" of earth, stone & timbers.
(The traditional "outdoor kitchen", that's been built for at least 3 centuries, all over Latin America.)

I would also happily "pick the brains" of a person who has actually built one.

IF anyone can point me to a source for plans, I would "owe you one".

yours, satx

Hey partner, the ones that I have seen have been way too modern for the most part all brick and/or iron, but in one case it was earthen and appeared like a two position, Lorena stove, only they replaced the primary "burner" with a grill, and used the secondary one for a pot or a frypan (boiled corn, boiled taters, fried yucca, and such) Anyway, here is a link to Clay Cookstove Building. The first part is a lot of environmental stuff on why it's a "good idea", but scrolling down you will find information on designs and more importantly, how to make the clay. I hope this helps and good luck.

LD

We are headed to the Mother Earth Fair in Topeka this next weekend. We were there last year and one of the demonstrations was on a small clay stove that was made at the fair. If I remember right it was more of a rocket stove, but I keep an eye out for information on a Parilla.

And to "Kansas Jake",

THANKS Gents.

Fwiw, I used to see "public"/very large Parillas in some Indian villages/hamlets in 2 countries where I was then stationed.
(One of the "public" Parillas appeared to me to be VERY old & nobody in the village knew WHEN and/or by whom that it was built. High-quality cut stone was the major construction material. = A whole day's meals for the village's families were prepared in that one large "cooking facility", which had a LARGE oven for roasting/baking & several surface cooking areas.)

Some of the Parillas that I saw at private homes were smaller but had served faithfully for decades/generations.

In none of the cases could I determine how exactly that the Parillas were built.

yours, satx

THANKS but those plans are FAR more "modern" than what I'm seeking. - Nonetheless, I'm going to show that document to my 1st cousin, as he wants to soon build a large outdoor kitchen/BBQ pit.

yours, satx

Paraguay

paraguayan-men-preparing-meat-on-skewers-over-a-parrilla-a-barbeque-ARWA8B.jpg

Looks YUM to me.

Fwiw, I once saw several whole steers being BBQ'ed on hand-turned spits, at once in eastern Columbia for a local "rich guys" daughter's wedding. The whole town was invited. = A good time was had by all.

Fwiw, some of the best meals that I've ever eaten anywhere were cooked on an old car hood, over charcoal, by the side of country roads in Venezuela.
(Generally the entire meal cost less than 2.ooUSD.)

yours, satx

Fwiw, in much of Latin America if you want to be in the "food business" & you have little money, you go find an old car hood, burn the paint off & polish it with sand, a few good-sized rocks to set the hood on, charcoal or sticks for fuel, some sort of vegetables & some "mystery meat" & set-up your "kitchen" by most any rural road.

Passers-by will stop & buy whatever it is that you are selling. = IF you are a good cook, you will do well.
(The justly famous LA FONDA SAN CARLOS in Caracas, VZ started out, 60+ years ago, in just that way.)

I once stopped & bought a large slab of meat with meat, rice, beans, arepas & a Coke at "an open-air roadside cafe".
The BIG "steak" was so good that I violated "my rule" & asked what kind of meat that it was.
The "chef" said, "Caballo, mi Commandante."
(The "rule" that I violated is: In a 3rd World nation, never ask what you're eating if it tastes good, as you may NOT want to know.)

yours, satx

YEP. - It was likely a cut off some peasant's old plow-horse.

Remind me sometime to tell you about what I found out that the "great-tasting" & "crispy croutons" turned out to be, that were in a "chef's salad" OCONUS and/or what "yagi sashimi" is made from in certain parts of Asia.
(Hungry 3rd World nation's "eaters" don't "turn up their nose at" most any sort of protein.)

Note: Even during a drought/famine MANY foreigners won't eat MRE's. - They'd sooner starve.
(MRE's really were "turned down" by starving Ethiopians, when GIs offered them to the starving folks during the famine there. = Thus MRE's "usual nickname": MEALS REJECTED by ETHIOPIANS.)

I, otoh, "draw the line at" raw cobra, drinking snake blood as a "bracing cocktail" & munching "creepy crawlies", when I know what they are.
I also do NOT like/eat monkey, cooked in any way, as monkey is always tough & stringy.

yours, satx

Satx, I didn't see anything that had plans for a parilla at the Mother Earth Fair. There was a person there building rocket ovens out of mud. Also, saw some books on using mud and other materials for stoves and ovens. You might do a search online to see what you can find. The earth oven would have been great outside for pizza etc.

satx78247 said:
Looks YUM to me.

Fwiw, I once saw several whole steers being BBQ'ed on hand-turned spits, at once in eastern Columbia for a local "rich guys" daughter's wedding. The whole town was invited. = A good time was had by all.

Fwiw, some of the best meals that I've ever eaten anywhere were cooked on an old car hood, over charcoal, by the side of country roads in Venezuela.
(Generally the entire meal cost less than 2.ooUSD.)

yours, satx
Some of the best food I ever tasted was street venders in Tiajauna and Alongapo in the phillipians. There was a place called the Navahopi kitchen in Tuba city Az that looked like a cross between Sam and Ella's place and the road killcafe, but it was gooood (channeling Andy Griffith).

Satx, I even asked the presenter about a parilla at the fair and he wasn't familiar with it. I too did look online and found a bunch of pictures, but no specific information on construction.

That was my "on-line" experience, too.
(The single person who bothered to answer my "on-line query" suggested that I hire "an expert" but didn't even offer one such person.- Maybe he doesn't know of one either.)

THANKS again for making the effort.

yours, satx

Latest posts

Back