• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plain's Pistola Range Report.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What a blast!

:applause:

Didn't do any serious bench test for groups as I had a younger shooter that I introduced to BP with me.

However, everytime I shot this gun, I either hit the paper plate dead-center, or close to it, and we also were shooting old metal buckets, laid on their sides, shooting at the bottom. The Plains Pistol just kept drilling them dead center at 25-30 yards also. This thing SHOOTS.

Started off with 40 grains under a round ball. All shooting was done with Goex fffg, .490" ball, .010" pillow ticking, wonder lube 1000+ and Wonder Wads. Loading effort was...effortless. I did wipe between about every six shots, but could have shot without wiping.

Traded off the gun with the youngster, every other shot, shooting 40 grains for a while, then upped to 50 grains for a while, then to 60.

Gun was quite manageable at 60 grains. My young shooter, who's experience is mostly with a Glock 9mm and .357 Revolvers, had no trouble shooting it with 60 grains.

Ok some will call me wild and crazy and irresponsible, but I tried 65 grains and it was fine...but at that point recoil was "starting" to get my attention. Not painful or anything like that...but could actually feel the increase over 60 grains. Or seemed like it.

:nono: ::

At any rate, at 65 grains recoil and muzzle blast were neither severe, nor excessive, IMHO.

:imo: :results:

POI and accuracy stayed the same, during this informal test, from 40 to 65 and anywhere in between. Fired patches from 40 to 65 grains all looked great.

I am very impressed with this pistola. She's accurate and powerful. She's a keeper.

:redthumb:

Rat

Rat, was it a kit or did the other owner by it built?

Good report on the range work and I wonder whether you paid much for the thing loading it up like you did the first time out? I love mine and it shot great the first time out. I never have found a blown out or burnt up patch on my pistol either.

Did you get any conicals at the gun shop? I have a few different weights to try the next time I bring her out. I may even try 50g FFF behind one.

Well it's unknown if this was a kit gun or not. No indications that it was...seems to have factory bluing. Does have one nice custom feature though, which is a German silver front sight. I would guess it's a factory gun, and if it's a kit someone did a very good job on it and had the barrel hot-blued...or does the kit gun come with a blued barrel?

Yes I did load her up, but she seemed to be a well cared for, little used gun, ("low mileage") and we shot her a while first with 40 grains, then 50 for a while, etc. I paid $150 for it.

You know I looked at some slugs, and thought about getting some just for fun, but they were all fairly high priced so I didn't. I'm probably going to stick with RB in this gun, and go for the higher velocity with the ball over 60 grains. I figure if that puts me in the 1200fps zone, I'm actually pretty close to .357Mag power/energy. Plus, I have MUCH more frontal area, or bore diameter, than a little tiny .357" bore.

Now I'm not saying that a slug over 50 grains would not have great "whompability", but I think that with this pistol I'll go for the higher velocity and flatter trajectory that I'll get with a hot loaded ball. Ha ha I may be totally wrong but I think that's the path I'll take...and just kind of thinking out loud here. I can certainly appreciate a slug over 50 grains of fffg though!

Now having said all that...the next step will be to load her way down, and see if she has the ability to nip the head off a grouse or a bunny...and not tear it up too much if the shot goes a bit low.

Anyhow...boy these are great pistols eh? Or...are these great pistols or what? I am definately a fan.

:applause:

Rat

Very cool Rat!

I also really like my DP Kentucky Pistol that I recently aquired as my first ML pistol.

Soon I'm going to be building a loading/cleaning stand to make life much easier.

Again, congrats!

:thumbsup:

Did you find a ball/patch combo that was more easy to load? Or have you switched to slugs? If so I missed the post.

Rat

I started on making a loading stand (bought some oak material is actually as far I got). I'd like to stay with the .490 rb and .015 patch as they shoot so well. As soon as the loading stand is finished I should be all set.

The DP 50 cal Kentucky loaded and shot the 300gr 44cal Hornady XTP & sabot excellent. Likely what I'll hunt with in the pistol.

That sounds like a fun hunt...now don't start giving me ideas!!

:nono:

Rat.

Latest posts

Back