• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistols vs Rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macr0w

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the whole black powder gun scene. Actually, I'm new to the gun scene in general.
I have an old rifle and an old shotgun that I inherited from my dad but I don't shoot much.
I am into history and I like the idea of having a nice looking Flintlock pistol to shoot and display.
I have been doing a lot of research and joined this forum to try and learn some stuff about flintlock construction.
After browsing this forum for a few days I seem to gather that most of the users here build/shoot/prefer rifles as opposed to pistols.
I certainly understand that rifles are more accurate at hitting your target than a pistol is for sure.
Am I right? Are rifles more popular with the BP community?
I am just a beginner but I am interested in a pistol for the romantic vision of a 18th century sailor or cavalryman sidearm.
That's what I'm going for with my first build.
So, where are all the pistol build threads? :cool:

Rifles are more useful in that we can compete, plink, or hunt. A pistol will do this as well but there’s less opportunities.
A fine pistol is as much work to build as a rifle and any details on building a flintlock rifle applies to a pistol.

Hi,
Pistols were more rare in 18th century America because they were less useful than rifles and smooth bored long guns, and they were almost as or more expensive because they were usually made in pairs. Certainly, wealthier officers and civilians might have a pair, usually imported from Europe or England, but they were not common among civilians. The story is different in Europe, however. There, pistols were much more numerous and used for personal protection and military purposes, and there were wealthier officers and even middle-class gentry to purchase them. If you intend horse pistols, you will have a challenging first project. Below are 18th century pistols I've built. The first is a modest quality British officer's pistol from the late 1760s or 1770s. The second is a pair of British dueling pistols of the highest quality and set up as they would be sold in London during the 1780s.
HG7gEvz.jpg

9xZGnLv.jpg

cLASejC.jpg

DHAAQ6V.jpg

11TUSbq.jpg

ddrJNDz.jpg

RYbbtd7.jpg

hh4ehoA.jpg

2Y1cmWF.jpg

P4Ctvv8.jpg

NzciFtO.jpg

Also something to consider about sailor's carrying pistols. Firearms aboard ship were strictly controlled by the captain and kept away from the seamen unless required for battle. The officer's were always concerned about mutiny.
dave

Thanks for the info guys.
Dave, those pics are exactly what I'm going for.
The kit I ordered was the 1733 French Dragoon flintlock from Muzzleloaders builders supply.
I haven't even gotten it yet.
I was a little bit on the fence about whether or not I should get a project that was a little bit advanced for a beginner but, then I figured screw it. let's do it.
I build all kinds of other tough complicated stuff. I've done my share of woodwork, drilling, tapping, measuring stuff accurately in my day.
It should be fun. I'm smart enough to take my time and not too proud to ask dumb questions.
I'll take any advice or help anyone can offer. :)

If your a hunter rifles or smoothbores are more practical but I Iike the looks of a well-made pistol they're just so elegant. But don't be deceived into thinking that they are can't be efficient. I once was deer hunting with my pair of rifle and pistol in .54 cal. a buck and a doe both came by me I dropped the buck with the rifle and the doe stopped just long enough for me to get to the pistol at 30 yds and a double lung shot she went about 20 yds and dropped.

This is the only single-shot pistol I have ever owned. I bought it at a yard sale 30 years ago for $3, all pieces disassembled and in a small box. It does not have a screw barrel and is marked "A.T. CO." on the top of the barrel in all individual letter stamps. I suppose it might have been a crude way to refer to Allen & Thurber, but that is a guess. No other markings on it. .36 caliber smoothbore, CCI #11 caps. The hammer nose does not have cap shroud so I have to wear a glove when shooting it. I don't think it was a kit gun.

It actually works quite well for what it is. I used to use it with 30 gr. Pyrodex P charge and a felt wad to scare stray dogs away from the trash cans. Impressive flash at night! :D

Regards,

Jim

Boot-Pistol-36-Smoothbore.jpg

Hi Macrow,
I am going to be blunt but with the intention of helping you. Most folks with woodworking skills and even those with professional modern gunsmithing skills, make a hash of their first muzzleloading guns. They simply don't know what a 17th, 18th, and early 19th century gun actually looked like. Also most observe what those old guns look like but few see them. There is a big difference in looking versus seeing. A French Dragoon pistol will be slim, elegant, with extremely narrow flats surrounding the lock or side plate. Butt caps with stirrups are a challenge but a French model 1733 is mounted in brass so that makes it easier. You can anneal the stirrups and bend them up out of the way while you inlet the rest of the cap. Do you know how the butt cap retainer is secured?

dave

Dave, I believe the buttcap is tacked and pinned so to speak. There is a big button tack that goes in the bottom and I believe that tack is pinned.
I'm not too worried about screwing it up.
I'm trying to do my research and like I said, I'm smart enough to be careful and take my time. I know that I have a lot to learn and I need to be careful. I'm in no rush. Just having it to work on is enough for me right now.
The slim, elegance is the thing that made me want to build one if these in the first place.
I have an eye for detail that has served me well in my other hobby's and my work. My side work is restoring vintage drums and custom building my own drum shells which I have been doing for almost 15 years.
www.macdrums.com
I'm even considering buying a piece of exotic wood and making my own stock.
So wish me luck.
Maybe I'll start a build thread unless people don't like newbys posting stuff all the time.
I can't wait to get started. :cool:

I just held a matching set of Belgian percussion muzzleloading pistols today at Hyatt gun shop here in Charlotte. They were slim and elegant as well.
Very nice. :)

This is the only single-shot pistol I have ever owned. I bought it at a yard sale 30 years ago for $3, all pieces disassembled and in a small box. It does not have a screw barrel and is marked "A.T. CO." on the top of the barrel in all individual letter stamps. I suppose it might have been a crude way to refer to Allen & Thurber, but that is a guess. No other markings on it. .36 caliber smoothbore, CCI #11 caps. The hammer nose does not have cap shroud so I have to wear a glove when shooting it. I don't think it was a kit gun.

It actually works quite well for what it is. I used to use it with 30 gr. Pyrodex P charge and a felt wad to scare stray dogs away from the trash cans. Impressive flash at night! :D

Regards,

Jim

View attachment 69276
it is crude! but I rely like it. as stated it gets the job done!

Hi,
Pistols were more rare in 18th century America because they were less useful than rifles and smooth bored long guns, and they were almost as or more expensive because they were usually made in pairs. Certainly, wealthier officers and civilians might have a pair, usually imported from Europe or England, but they were not common among civilians. The story is different in Europe, however. There, pistols were much more numerous and used for personal protection and military purposes, and there were wealthier officers and even middle-class gentry to purchase them. If you intend horse pistols, you will have a challenging first project. Below are 18th century pistols I've built. The first is a modest quality British officer's pistol from the late 1760s or 1770s. The second is a pair of British dueling pistols of the highest quality and set up as they would be sold in London during the 1780s.
HG7gEvz.jpg

9xZGnLv.jpg

cLASejC.jpg

DHAAQ6V.jpg

11TUSbq.jpg

ddrJNDz.jpg

RYbbtd7.jpg

hh4ehoA.jpg

2Y1cmWF.jpg

P4Ctvv8.jpg

NzciFtO.jpg

Also something to consider about sailor's carrying pistols. Firearms aboard ship were strictly controlled by the captain and kept away from the seamen unless required for battle. The officer's were always concerned about mutiny.
dave
Very nice set, did you make the case ?

Gotta admit that the first flintlock I built was a pistol. Pa made it legal for 50 cal flintlock pistols to be used for deer so I wanted one.

I built one using some local sourced nice figure walnut and had zero experience building or even knowing what to look for or at.

The initial build was in 2010 and essentially I ended up with a block of wood that had a barrel and flint....but it shot well.

After about 11 years and building a Leman in between the initial pistol build and the re-do, I had much more appreciation for building a flinter. Reading a few "build" books is certainly a must.

So, the following pics are as follows: 1st-The start of the initial build., 2nd-Then finished product of the initial build., 3rd-The finished product of the re-build\re-do. No where near perfect but much more graceful and not the clunky piece the initial build was.

SMs2nhGh.jpg
GkqzhP6h.jpg
eUQi9KJh.jpg

My first muzzleloader was a pistol as well. A guy gave me a barrel, block of wood and a lock that didn't work with the instructions, "just make the G%# Da@$# thing right". I had no I deja what I was doing. I bought a trigger guard and made all the rest. I have often thought about taking it apart and tuning up some of the things I see now, but I learned a lot making it the way it is so Ill keep it so. It shoots great.
DSCN0058.jpeg

DSCN0059.jpeg

DSCN0060.jpeg

DSCN0061.jpeg

Oh yeah, He gave me the meeks book on engraving, so I made dome gravers out of concrete nails and had at it.
Robby

Back