• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol for edc?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they make a good revolver for edc? My worry is i don't have a place to discharge the gun at the end of the day. How long can you leave a cylinder loaded b4 needing to be shot?
Why are you wanting to carry? Prior to retirement I worked in a dangerous area, at night, in Philadelphia. I carried and would not have dreamed of relying on weapons technology from the last century.

If your desire to carry is based solely on testosterone then carry whatever you and the local law will let you be comfortable with. But maybe it should be unloaded.

Cause it's his right if he's an American and apparently wants to exorcize it? The best time to have one is when you need it, not the other way around.
Next question . . .
Do not disagree at all. But you beg the question. Do you want to carry because it is your right and you can? Or do you have the motive of going in harms way?
If the latter, you are very silly to be relying on black powder revolvers. Or black powder anythings. I guess a black powder revolver is better than nothing if you are faced with a double stack 9. But when I went in harms way I carried suppository handguns. And most often a 12 gauge pump.

Last edited:
Do not disagree at all. But you beg the question. Do you want to carry because it is your right and you can? Or do you have the motive of going in harms way?
If the latter, you are very silly to be relying on black powder revolvers. Or black powder anythings. I guess a black powder revolver is better than nothing if you are faced with a double stack 9. But when I went in harms way I carried suppository handguns.

Yep, so do I but the op asked the question concerning bp revolvers. Don't see how anything else matters unless you or someone else is going to carry it for him/her.
It's simply "what would you carry" and do you shoot it/ clean it daily?"
To answer that question, no other info is needed. If you don't know or have the info, why respond?

I have unmentionables and I have an 1858. It has been loaded since mid November with my hunting (most accurate) load. I find I carry it about as often as the rest of my primaries combined (I always have an unmentionable backup). I mentioned how long it has been loaded because I just walked down to my range and fired all six shots. All six hit their mark at 25 yds. Yes, I can shoot further. But it was dark out there.

My point is it is just as capable with my particular load as some of my others. It is also just as dependable. If you are proficient with a weapon, then it will usually serve its purpose!

As a biker I was always told if ya have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet. Same goes with edc.

Why are you wanting to carry? Prior to retirement I worked in a dangerous area, at night, in Philadelphia. I carried and would not have dreamed of relying on weapons technology from the last century.

If your desire to carry is based solely on testosterone then carry whatever you and the local law will let you be comfortable with. But maybe it should be unloaded.
There is not a more useless object on the entire planet than an unloaded gun.... Might as well carry a large tree branch

A lot of this cap and ball for self defense is the advent of legal medical marijuana. You can’t possess a firearm and have a medical marijuana license, so people want a gun that is not considered a firearm under federal law. The feds may not care, local law enforcement may, depending on where you are. Consult an attorney!!
You are correct. You'd definitely have to be high to wanna carry a cap n ball pistol to defend your life.

I'd go with a snubbed .44 1858 Remington. With a proper fitting bullet and cap sealed black powder in a chamber should be on par with a black powder cartridge for storage longevity. My C&B revolvers have proven at least as reliable as .22LR . That said I'll stick with John Moses Browning if given the choice. YMMV

I'm not sure how true this is but I have read, general Lee's cap and ball revolver was successfully fired after 100 years in storage.

I do know that I have stored a loaded cap and ball for every bit of 6 months and every shot went bang with no special considerations except for wax over the top of the ball

If you have someone like 45D work over your cap and ball for reliability and practice until you can keep a cylinder full in a 4 inch group at 25 yds. I don't see a problem. I used to read Elmer Kieth, Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, ETC. who advocated hitting your target on the first shot. This is an unusual theory in the world of 17 round magazine wonder nines! 17 misses don't equal 1 hit!

If you have someone like 45D work over your cap and ball for reliability and practice until you can keep a cylinder full in a 4 inch group at 25 yds. I don't see a problem. I used to read Elmer Kieth, Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, ETC. who advocated hitting your target on the first shot. This is an unusual theory in the world of 17 round magazine wonder nines! 17 misses don't equal 1 hit!
There is nothing better than hitting center mass with your first shot, and second. If you must shoot then double tap. The sine qua non is knowing when you must shoot, and when you should not. Carried by six is no good. Being judged by twelve will be a prolonged agony and you might not win. If you feel you must shoot, you are likely better off killing your assailant. If he recovers you will doubtless hear from his lawyer. Probably hear from his family's lawyer anyway.
I do not go unarmed. But my various EDC's are not from the 1800's. I am as likely to carry a Shanghai police dagger as a firearm. Most important, I no longer have any need or desire to go places where trouble is likely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back