• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol Build - hooked breech or not for accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks,
Got a question for you - my local club is starting to hold BP pistol matches occasionally, so naturally my thoughts turn to building a match pistol on the lines of the Pedersoli le Page. My question is about whether you think a hooked breech pistol would be inherently less accurate that a non-hooked breech just by virtue of the extra joint. I generally like a hooked breech for ease of cleaning, but for competition, what do you think?
Thanks,
-Nic

My question is about whether you think a hooked breech pistol would be inherently less accurate that a non-hooked breech just by virtue of the extra joint.
Hooked or not, isn't the issue with accuracy.
A hooked breach properly inlet/bedded will be more accurate then an improperly inlet/bedded solid breech. Or vise-versa.
Both will involve the proper inlet/placement of the lock and trigger also.
The goal is to have each component in proper alignment, with each piece being snug against the wood stock.
Evidence of that is available in commercial guns, some are inexpensive, others are not.
There's a reason for that,, and it has little to do with the breech style, ;)

Hi,
One issue, which for a pistol is not a big one, is few make a correct hook breech anymore. The tang part should have a lug on the bottom for a cross pin that goes through the stock and locks the bottom of the tang securely to the stock. If the tang does not have that lug, which most commercially made ones do not, then it is good to thread a bolt into the bottom that is hidden under the forward extension of the trigger guard.

iFfXQkF.jpg

Z7CwwCw.jpg

lq562k2.jpg

XS6qd8w.jpg

dave

Back