• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pioneer powder question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey in Oz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Guys,
I came across 2kg of Pioneer FFF today for a good price. I use Wano PPP at the moment and have used Swiss FFF.
How does the Pioneer FFF compare?
Someone I spoke to thought it was similar to Pyrodex but had never used it.
Your thoughts appreciated.
Smokey.

PS: FYI, I'm shooting 50 cal lubed .015 PRB at 50 & 100m, 1 in 48 twist. 40 & 65 grains of Wano at those ranges & 35 & 60 grains of Swiss for the same distances.

Smokey in OZ-The main problem with pioneer powder is, that it is very hygroscopic(it attracts moisture like crazy).Second it is less dense than black powder or pyrodex,so you will probably need to increase your powder charge at least 10 grains.Seems like your using more powder,but it is less dense, there for more grains to the pound.you might want scale back on the patch lube,patches should feel slightly moist.make sure any and all oils are removed from the barrel and breech area.I live in a dry climate,Pioneer powder has worked well for me.I also shoot Swiss,pioneer powder will not even come close to Swiss.I hope this has helped,Good luck and good shooting...respectfully Montanadan

I have got two pounds in the safe that have been there a while. I wan't impressed with it so I put it back on the shelf. The stuff works but, it just isn't that great. In the States, we are spoiled, I can get whatever powder I want at a reasonable price. Your situation is different, if I were you, I would latch on to the 2 kgs of powder regardless of what it is. Cheers :hatsoff:

It seems that this Pioneer FFF is made in Germany, possibly at the Wano factory.
I tested it at the range a few days back with the same loads as I normally use. 40 grains at 50 yards gave me a 2 1/2 inch group & 65 grains at 100 yards gave me a 5 inch group without changing my sight settings or anything else. It's obviously not the American Pioneer that you blokes are used to using and does the job well.
Thanks for the help, Smokey.

smokey wano and the old pioner powder are and where made in the Schuetzen factory in germany. if you have any old jurnels when dr leo laden was doing the muzzelloader section in the ssaa jurnel he referd to it in one of his articals, leo did say thats what wano was caled when it first came to oz he showed me a empty container just the same as the wano one compair the two containers. if you no any one that can read german then get them to translate all the writing on both containers .
bernie :thumbsup:

Back