• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pillow Ticking Strips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Graduating from Cap and Ball to Rifle and would like to cut patches at the muzzle.

Checked around the more popular to me places for supplies and do not see strips available in .018... ok just found some on October Country by Ox-Yoke.

Any other places? Are there different widths to be used for .50 and .54 caliber?

Are the popular sizes .015 and .018 going to work best with CVA Hawken and Mountain Rifles?

How do y'all orient it and cut it?

Go to a Fabric shop with calipers/micrometer in hand.
Buy what I need and wash it once in hot and machine dry it hot.
I usually make a small cut then rip the fabric and pull out a few strands on each side.

necchi said:
I usually make a small cut then rip the fabric and pull out a few strands on each side.

That simple? Who'd a thunk it? :wink: :rotf:

You ask yourself "Can it be that simple?" and, yes, it is just that simple. Been doing it that way for many years and it works mighty fine. I hang my strip over the end of my ramrod where it is ready to be flipped up and cut at the muzzle. No, it is not in the way and it is mighty handy. A tip of the old Fedora to necchi. :hatsoff:

swathdiver said:
Graduating from Cap and Ball to Rifle and would like to cut patches at the muzzle.

Checked around the more popular to me places for supplies and do not see strips available in .018... ok just found some on October Country by Ox-Yoke.

Any other places? Are there different widths to be used for .50 and .54 caliber?

Are the popular sizes .015 and .018 going to work best with CVA Hawken and Mountain Rifles?

How do y'all orient it and cut it?

Go one step further and cut the strips into squares. Lube well with your favorite lube and store until needed for shooting.

One more thing to remember is to get the all cotton ticking.

I just buy the blue and white striped stuff and wash the sizing out. After it's dried I iron it. That makes it easier for me to cut into strips approx 1 3/8" wide, depending on the caliber. I cut it into squares or roll it up and toss it into my shooting bag. :thumbsup:

The patch for a .50 -.60 is close to the same width.You can also cut them in to squares that like a pre cut patch can be prelube and used without cutting.Cutting at the muzzle means you dont have to worry about centering it.Pre cut means you dont have to fiddle with a knife.Just be sure its all cotten and well washed,remeber tight weave silk gives you another 40 yards :rotf:

necchi said:

Gee, I was hoping to have the brown truck drop some off and avoid walking around JoAnn Fabrics with my mic, Ok, I guess... :wink:

swathdiver said:
necchi said:

Gee, I was hoping to have the brown truck drop some off and avoid walking around JoAnn Fabrics with my mic, Ok, I guess... :wink:
Don't worry, you won't be considered any less manly. Many of us have done it and survived!

There are other options that work: Twill, denim, canvas - 100% natural fibers only. Tightly woven linen.

Billnpatti said:
You ask yourself "Can it be that simple?" and, yes, it is just that simple. Been doing it that way for many years and it works mighty fine. I hang my strip over the end of my ramrod where it is ready to be flipped up and cut at the muzzle. No, it is not in the way and it is mighty handy. A tip of the old Fedora to necchi. :hatsoff:

Good thing I never took up being a comedian for a career. :redface: For the record, that was a joke.:doh:
For decades, I have been buying my own ticking or denim, lubing in sheets, storing in plastic zip lock bags (ferget wat I used before plastic was invented. :idunno: )[that's a joke too. :grin: ] and tearing into strips at the range or when preparing for a hunt.

It has "sizing" mainly its been starched to help it stay flat so its easier for the machine to fold it. Do NOT shoot it without washing this stuff out, it will not hold any lube without getting this out first.

jaybird14 said:
Why do you wash it?

jay

Don't make the same mistake I did, first time I made my own. Got it all cut up, then ran it through the washer and dryer. It was such a tangled up mess, I liked to never got it unknotted.

Wash it hot, then dry it hot to shrink and tighten it even more. Then make a little nip in the edge with scissors and tear the strips off. If you cut them all the way you'll end up with a whole lot of loose threads. Tear the strips, and you'll have virtually none.

Do the math, and a square yard of fabric turns out 576 1.5" patches, or the equivalent in strips. Since I got my ticking on sale for $1 a yard, that means I get my patches six for a penny or around 17 cents per hundred. Even if you don't get yours anywhere near so cheap, it's still about the best buy around, compared to buying commercial patches.

swathdiver said:
Gee, I was hoping to have the brown truck drop some off and avoid walking around JoAnn Fabrics with my mic, Ok, I guess...
I understand that one,
My Ma was a Seamstress and managed Fabric shops so I grew up around fabric an sewing.
"Necchi" is actually the brand name of my own Italian made semi-industrial sewing machine.
Folks think, "Gee's a guy has his own sewing machine?"
Yeah Man! That thing will lay a straight stitch in 6 layers of canvas in a heart beat, :thumbsup:

Any way's just walk in and ask one of the Ladies to point you at the pillow ticking and Denim.
When you find the stuff look at the end of the cardboard "bolt" the fabric is twisted on and it'll say what the fabric is and there should be a price tag on it,, the price is the width of the folded fabric (usually 36 or 48") x one yard.
Look for 100% Cotton, or it'll say Algodon (that's Spanish for Cotton).
Here's some other names for 100% Cotton fabric. http://textilelearner.blogspot.com/2011/05/some-commercial-names-of-cotton-fabrics_1682.html

When you find what ya want, take the whole bolt up to the big table and do your best to just stand around with puppy dog eyes, one of the Ladies will ask you if you've found what you want. Just say "yup" an lay the bolt on the table.

Now they only work with "yards", them women don't understand fabric by the inch,, you can buy multiple yards or a half yard (18"), a 1/4 yard (9") or the smallest they want to bother cutting is an 1/8 yard (=4.5"s).

During the experimental phase of finding the right stuff an 1/8th yard will get you plenty of shot's. Once you find what you like go back and buy several yards.

Now here's another tip, just because it's Blue ticking at Joannes, doesn't mean that Blue ticking at Joannes a year from now will be exactly the same, Fabric is made with what comes in and the way the machine is set up that day. That machine will be used to make several different fabrics through the year and the next time it runs Blue Ticking it'll be close but seldom exactly the same,,
Know what I mean? So it's a good idea to buy a bunch, but only when it's the right stuff.
Cotton has gone up a lot in this last year, it makes pretty darn expensive cleaning patches if you buy yards of some poor quality stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut at the muzzle using mattress ticking. At the local fabric store they have both oillow ticking, which is a looser weave but is not 100% cotton :shake: Then there is mattress ticking, a 100% cotton, tightly woven material that mics out at .018. I lube with either plain olive oil or beeswax and olive oil, although now that I have Dutch's pamphlet I and going to try a dry lube (Ballistol and water).

I was on a quest a while back and I found strips and bulk at "The Possible Shop". The ticking that they sell by the half yard is stated to be .018 but after washing it measures thicker than the .018 pre cut patches. Geo. T.

If you go to JoAnne Fabrics search for a coupon first. They are probably the most expensive source. Search for a local, privately owned fabric store.

After washing how wide do you cut/tear your strips for fifty caliber? Does anyone have any experience with a narrower or wider patch affecting accuracy? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back