• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pillow ticking for patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and really enjoy reading your input.

Today I bought 2 yards of pillow ticking (white w/blue stripes) at a fabrics store--I think it was JoAnn Fabrics. Anyway, do you recommend washing it or do I just use it the way it is? The reason I ask is when I bought some pillow ticking by Ox-Yoke it expressly states on the packet not to wash it because it will soften when a patch lube is applied. The ticking I bought today is just as stiff as the Ox-Yoke stuff. So, if at all, how do you guys treat pillow ticking bought by the yard before you rip it into strips.
Any help is appreciated!

You may also want to be consistent with how you dry it. Putting it in the dryer may increase the thickness of the material and alter it's performance. So, if you line dry it or put it in the dryer, do it the same each time so you can work up a consistent load for your gun.

pillow ticking is all I ever use. I always rinse my ticking in plain water (no soap), and then air dry. After I cut into strips I stretch the material before cutting into squares or circles (I stretch the material by pulling over the edge of my work bench) this takes the draw or curl out of the strips and helps to keep there size uniform.

do you recommend washing it or do I just use it the way it is?
Some of us wash their ticking, some do not...

The stiffness is from the sizing (starch) that is used when it is made...

I myself, wash the sizing out, I feel it prevents the patch from fully gripping the round ball, but that's just my opinion...

I have shot the patch both ways (washed and unwashed), there is really no difference in the performance and function of the patch PER SE, but a unwashed patch is less likely to collect dirt and grime than a washed one, it has to do with the napp of the fibers... (Again, that's just my opinion...)

Can any of you give me tips on how to mike the thickness of this ticking? I seems that I get different thicknesses depending on how hard I push on the caliper. What's the right way to measure this?

This was a series of post last summer...

You can take 10 people and give them the same strip pf ticking and the same micrometer, and they will get 10 different readings...

I am in the rubber industry and we have to mike the parts light, just until you feel the micrometer start to drag a bit...

Otherwise the parts will be over-sized...

But that is just the way I do it, everyone is different, you must deside what is right for you...

The only reason I wash it it tastes better when you spit patch. I don't think it makes any difference otherwise,
Cut patches aren't washed. If you wash, line dry it or you may have to iron it before you cut it. I cut mine, roll them up, put a little rubber band around them and box them.
To carry in my bag I'll put a roll in a film can to keep it clean.
Deadeye

Latest posts

Back