• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pilgrim looking for a simple wheat/ raisin bread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artie Peltier

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok the group has never let me down before and on this request I need major help. Looking for a simple wheat flour/ rasin bread recipe that I can bake in a cast iron pan. Love cast iron cooking but dumb as a stump on baking. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Simple is good. Thanks as usual Art

When you say "in a cast iron pan" do you mean in the oven or over a heat source.

When you say "in a cast iron pan" do you mean in the oven or over a heat source.[/QUOTE
When you say "in a cast iron pan" do you mean in the oven or over a heat source.
Right now oven later on outdoor fire. Looking to do it in non covered pan. If this is posted in the wrong forum I’ll move it. I was going to put it in recipe section but it said recipes to share. Thanks Art

The simplest bread is flour, water, salt, and yeast. I don't have the proportions memorized for that one, just the more involved whole wheat I make every week to ten days.

I've done enough baking to guess that adding raisins won't affect the outcome. Just add them whilst mixing the ingredients.

The only difference with baking in cast iron is you'll want to turn it out as quickly as possible when it's done, so it won't keep baking.

So, breads in a pan say over a fire cook differently than breads in an oven. So the recipe is going to matter somewhat.
A reflector oven would be a good choice for a fire. Period correct too.

Rain bread is just that, bread with raisins folded in. Now I have also made raisin bannock, and that you can do in a skillet.

Do you want a yeast bread or chemical leavened ?

If a yeast bread will work I'd make a no-knead bread and fold the raisins right before the last rise. This can be cooked in an oven or a reflector next to the fire.

There are 7.9 million bread recipes.

I'm cooking now but I'll look for some recipes later for you. in the mean time check out the "Artisan bread with Steve" youtube channel he has some fantastic no knead videos.

So, breads in a pan say over a fire cook differently than breads in an oven. So the recipe is going to matter somewhat.
A reflector oven would be a good choice for a fire. Period correct too.

Rain bread is just that, bread with raisins folded in. Now I have also made raisin bannock, and that you can do in a skillet.

Do you want a yeast bread or chemical leavened ?

If a yeast bread will work I'd make a no-knead bread and fold the raisins right before the last rise. This can be cooked in an oven or a reflector next to the fire.

There are 7.9 million bread recipes.

I'm cooking now but I'll look for some recipes later for you. in the mean time check out the "Artisan bread with Steve" youtube channel he has some fantastic no knead videos.
I would prefer yeast going natural. I said raisin mixed in dough? Or just plain to start. Sorry to say completely lacking in knowledge about baking.

I would prefer yeast going natural. I said raisin mixed in dough? Or just plain to start. Sorry to say completely lacking in knowledge about baking.

That makes it easier.
You can just use any plain yeast bread dough the and fold in the raisins before baking. If you mix in the raisins at the beginning they tend to disintegrate.

Still cooking I'll post something for you later.

Could you use a dutch oven instead of a skillet ?

From The Kentucky housewife 1841

default.jpg
default.jpg

default.jpg

Here's a bannock recipe using Indian meal, it cooks in a skillet and you could easily add raisins to it.

default.jpg

You"re going to need some yeast recipes.
Note: I don't personally recommend any of these. Use at your discretion.

default.jpg

default.jpg
default.jpg

default.jpg

default.jpg

default.jpg
default.jpg

default.jpg

One thing is baking bread over coals from a fire. You will probably want a dutch oven or lid where you can put coals on top of the dutch oven or other baking pan. Trying to bake without a cover probably would result in a burnt bottom and raw center if the bread is very thick. In an oven it won't matter as you have heat all around the item being baked.

If you can build a fire in outside in your yard, try some different methods and report back. That would be a good way to get started.

One thing is baking bread over coals from a fire. You will probably want a dutch oven or lid where you can put coals on top of the dutch oven or other baking pan. Trying to bake without a cover probably would result in a burnt bottom and raw center if the bread is very thick. In an oven it won't matter as you have heat all around the item being baked.

If you can build a fire in outside in your yard, try some different methods and report back. That would be a good way to get started.

I agree, if you want to make yeast risen bread you really need a oven of some type. Dutch, reflector, earthen, or makeshift.
You can make bread straight up in a skillet but it needs to be thin and you have to be able to flip it. in other words a flat bread, think tortilla or pizza crust.

Two cups flour, teaspoon salt, half a pound of butter, cup of raisins,dash of nutmeg or cinnamon. water to make a stiff dough. All natural fabric like cottenhemp or linen, not wool.
Fill pot with water and bring to boil with cloth in the pot. Remove the cloth from the water and lay on flat surface, toss flour all over the cloth till well covered. Stick dough in center and pull the cloth around. Tie it loosely at top so it forms a ball. Toss in boiling water in pot, add water as needed to keep covered and let boil about three four hours.
Slice to seve, eat with butter, or make up a sauce ofeaual parts butter white wine and sugar, or slice and fry in butter eaten plain or sprinkled with sugar.
Keep in bag for a week.

I was being tognue in cheek. He said make bread in a cast iron pot. Generally we think ‘baking’ when we think cast iron, but, you can boil your bread if you want;)

I was being tognue in cheek. He said make bread in a cast iron pot. Generally we think ‘baking’ when we think cast iron, but, you can boil your bread if you want;)

Guess you won't be needing a sauce recipe for you pudding then.

There are period recipes for both boiled and baked puddings.

Ok first try! Wheat bread, cinnamon, raisins, and small amount of brown sugar. It’s actually pretty tasty too! Hope these pics post. Thanks for all the help. Art

Attachments

• 717017FD-DC2F-40E9-88D4-6E7B06450EAC.jpeg
    717017FD-DC2F-40E9-88D4-6E7B06450EAC.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 955A3AD5-92F5-464A-BFCB-3DD908E0687B.jpeg
    955A3AD5-92F5-464A-BFCB-3DD908E0687B.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 3434CE87-27A9-4B8A-99AD-3BEA59CC6130.jpeg
    3434CE87-27A9-4B8A-99AD-3BEA59CC6130.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 99
I'd call that a bannock. looks mighty tasty.
I see it was done in the oven; campfire next ?

Did you try toasting it ? I'll bet it would be good toasted and toasting was a common period thing.
Put some jam on it and you're in heaven.

Looking forward to loaf #2

my mother who is almost 100 years old made a lot of raisin wallnut cookies, man were they good. she does not want to eat much any more and my old sister, late 70/s makes them for her and she eats those. her ginger snaps with white frosting where the creme de le creme of her cookies. they were gone in minutes.

Back