• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta Model 1851 Navy- Black Friday

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerem0621

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Cabela's is selling the Pietta model 1851 Navy in brass for $189.99 with a "Starter Kit" as a black friday sale. DW has been after me about what I want for Christmas. Hmmm.. not too expensive.. something different..

They are selling the same revolver without the starter kit for $139.99... I am not sure that the starter kit is worth $50.00 but it sounds like a good buy.

I was thinking about a Remington, but this 1851 seems like a pretty good revolver for the $$$$$..

Thanks!

In my opinion, so-called "starter kits" are not worth it. You will be much happier researching what you need first and buying it separately.

The starter kits not that good. balls, wads, butter, straight capper, plastic flask. You gotta buy caps. It's easier to put the caps on with your fingers than to load the caps into the capper. I just found that my gun shoots better without the wads and butter. the plastic flask is scary- static electric charged. So all you need is caps and balls :)

Thanks everyone, thats what I suspected. I already have a decent T/C powder measure (clear and adjustable), capper, and all the other tools that go with my .50 cal.

I'm still on the fence, I would like to have a BP revolver, and I would also like to have a big single shot cap lock. Not sure which to buy first, since this one is so cheap, I may just go ahead and get this Pietta.

If it doesn't have a steel frame....pass on it.
Second hand they are hard to sell.
A nice Uberti, or (new recent build ) Pietta is a pleasure to have and shoot.
Most all brass framed BP revolvers are junk!
Save you money for a good one!
Old Ford

Old Ford said:
Old Ford
Hmmm -- some of us like the brass frame for its looks. Of course, shooting with modest powder charges is recommended, but the smile on my face is still the same. :)

Old Ford said:
Old Ford
Some of us don't resale our weapons.I have had 3 brass frames in my collection a .44 cal brass frame with a 5 in barrel (no such existed) and a.36 Spiller&Burr, and a 62 pocket police.. I have had them for years, with no problem other than a bolt spring breaking in one. I fire them regularly and my wife prefers the so called .44 cal confed. sherriffs model. The first time she fired it she hit the 10 ring at 50foot.
Don't go on the opinion of one person who may have had bad luck or who may have over charged the chambers and stretched it out, or bought a monday gun.
I'll take any brass framed pistol you want to give me. :grin: . I like the looks of them. My Spiller and Burr I let the frame age naturally and browned the barrel and cylinder great look. I use it live firing, and at civil war reenactments. And also in my civil war gun displays at living histories. You treat them like manure just like any tool and you get manure in return.

I have both brass and steel and ROAs and they all work and shoot just fine. If I want a magnum the .44 Mag. or the .460XVR come out. :haha:

I used to think that until I saw a video of how you can't possibly generate enough static if you tried with all your might to ignite any brand or granulation of black powder.Static doesn't generate the heat required to get combustion going. MD

I agree.
I'm kinda late to this party, bought my 1851 Navy from Cabela's for $149.99 last week, and looks fine to me. Being the first BP gun not a bad price and as I learn over time ,then the better built guns will come . :thumbsup:
Did the same with modern cartridge guns have fun, and something to compare to. :applause:

Back