• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1860 Colt Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Sanders

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with cylinder timing on this revolver. The cylinder timing notches on my revolver are getting chewed up from the bolt that comes up from the bottom of the frame. It is engaging just a little too soon. It seems that the trigger bolt spring is too stiff. Maybe the Cylinder material is too soft, Maybe the bolt is too hard. Has anyone had this problem, if so how or can this be fixed? :confused:

HH 60

I had that problem with my Colt Navy by Pietta. Pietta fitted the bolts wrong.I took a round needle file and squared the edges of the notches. I replaced the bolt with one from Dixie and did not touch the top of it. The bolt is the perfect width for the cylinder notches. For whatever reason, the raw replacement bolt (by Pietta) had the correct bevel and angle up top not to chew up the cylinder notches while the one that came with the gun (fitted at the factory) was messed up. They even made the original one too thin on mine.

What you're experiencing is not unusual. You may be able to clean up the bolt you have, and reuse it. Or, like Norinco said, you may have to buy a replacement part.

Thanks, Norinco that be the one. I have three Pietta Colts the bolts were way too big on two of them. I did not have a deburring tool i used a
the back side of a x acto knife not the sharp side. The timing was off in one of the guns it was just a burr on the end of the hand. I will add that two of the colts had 1860 frames both had hammer springs that were way to long that were binding on the hammer. That was a quick fix i just shorted them a 1/4 inch.

Latest posts

Back