• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1858 Review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is my new unfired Pietta 1858 in .44 made in 2011, originally sold by Cabelas.
I purchased it new/unfired a couple of weeks ago.
Well it was new/unfired :grin:
Bluing is very nice, I would say not as nice as most Uberti's but close.
Metal fit and finish is great, the brass to steel fit is near perfect with no sharp edges.
Wood fit is pretty good but could be a bit better, wood is a little proud.
Trigger pull is heavy, maybe #4+ with much creep, actually has a little bit of creep then stops and then creeps until it breaks. For caps, Remington #10 fit perfect, CCI #10 are to tight and do not seat all the way down,
CCI #11 fall right off. Initially the revolver shot 4" low @ 25yds, a bit of filing on the front sight and elevation is dead on, however it shoots 3.5" left. I will have to have the barrel indexed proper or have the barrel cut
for a dovetail front sight. Cylinder locks up frog butt tight and timing is pretty darn good but not perfect.
Grooves Slug .451
Chambers Mic .446 for all 6

This Bad Boy can shoot :guntootsmiley:
At the range other shooters where just amazed that a BP revolver could shoot such good groups, this thing makes me look good.
Overall I am one Happy Camper.

Load:
.454 RB, home cast from a LEE mold.
30gr. 777 FFF
Wonder Wad under ball

This is the very first group fired at 25yds.
This was 6 rounds @ 1.45"

2b05be87-a959-4fd1-967c-01b866bff210_zps6309c282.jpg

This is the last group fired at 25yds.
This was 8 rounds @ 1.27"

069c9a33-d1a3-4105-a38e-ee5014fb03ce_zps7a0e6006.jpg

:thumbsup: :) That's a keeper , are you sure the chambers are .446 and not .456 ?

1601phill said:
:thumbsup: :) That's a keeper , are you sure the chambers are .446 and not .456 ?

Yes .446
This is the norm for Pietta.
I was going to open up the chambers to .450 but it shoots to good to mess with

On all of mine the groove measurement is smaller than the chamber measurement .

Right now most are! However Gander Mountain has Remington 10's. In Texas anyway.

Geo. T.

What often happens is some folks try to mic inside diameters with a caliper and their readings are usually short of actual diameter. They must be either slugged and cross mic'd or use a plug gauge which is probably more accurate as they are precision ground perfectly round and the chambers often are not.Mike D.

M.D. said:
What often happens is some folks try to mic inside diameters with a caliper and their readings are usually short of actual diameter. They must be either slugged and cross mic'd or use a plug gauge which is probably more accurate as they are precision ground perfectly round and the chambers often are not.Mike D.

I used my digital calipers, don't have anything else to measure them with. Wish I had some plug gauges to get a more precise measurement.

You can load a dry ball into the chamber and then pull it with a sheet rock screw and cross mic with your calipers. I do so routinely as well as with my one inch mic.
I pull the cylinder and put it in a padded vice, center and screw the sheet rock screw into the ball and pull it with pliers.
The screw in the ball makes a handy handle when you are doing your mic'ing.
You might want to lube that chamber a bit so the ball will come out more easily. MD

Great gun! I posted on the 7th about this same gun in .36 cal. I picked it up today. It's older but looks new. I also picked up a CVA .45 cal. single shot cap pistol. I got them both for $160.00 I don't remember how to post pictures, I have not posted for a while but my "new to me"gun looks just like this one.
I hope it shoots as well as yours! Thanks for sharing.

M.D. said:
You can load a dry ball into the chamber and then pull it with a sheet rock screw and cross mic with your calipers. I do so routinely as well as with my one inch mic.
I pull the cylinder and put it in a padded vice, center and screw the sheet rock screw into the ball and pull it with pliers.
You might want to lube that chamber a bit so the ball will come out more easily. MD

Hi M.D.
I will do that tonight and report back the findings.

M.D. said:
You might want to lube that chamber a bit so the ball will come out more easily.

I did this tonight.
Chambers measure .446

I cant believe it shoots that good with chambers smaller then the barrel.

Imagine how good it will shoot if the chambers were larger.

You might have 1 hole after all 6 shots.

Back