• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pietta 1858 remmie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodd

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Afternoon all- was just given a great freebie by a mate of mine a Pietta 1858 Remington :) that has seen very little use and is excellent condition (this will be the big brother to my Uberti .36 cal 6inch 1858 :) :) ).Did a search on year of manufacture codes for italian guns- this one is BN so manufactured 1995.I think it takes .454 RB but was wondering if the .457 balls I have left over from when i had a Ruger OA could be used as they are pure soft lead.Any other info tips would be appreciated--cheers zodd

Yes, you CAN use those round balls but they will be a bit harder to load because of they are a little larger in size. They should work very well after loading.

They will give you a nice cutoff ring. I use .457 for my Rogers&Spencer and when I went to use my Remy found that I was out of .454 so used them instead. Just tuffer to stuff in the chambers is all.

yes, I have both a Pietta '58 Remy and an ROA and cast balls for both, I was out of .454 and used some .457 (ROA size) just little tougher to press in a little grease helps.
BTW lucky you, quite a buddy you have! :thumbsup:

I've always used .457 ball cast or store bought in my C&B revolvers including my Pietta Remington copies, depending on what you mean dificult but they load just right for me giving a nice ring of lead for me every time & with the extra bearing surface your accuracy should improve some.

Might be a little hard on your loading lever. If you have a cylinder loader, this is a good time to use it. I've tried .457 in my 1858 using the lever but I was worried about causing premature wear. It was a pretty tight fit.

Good on you zodd, sounds like you got a great deal from a good friend.

The oversize lead balls might be bit of a hard go, but with soft lead and a loading stand, should be no problem.

Back