• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pictures of the Vinegar stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boar

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Heres the gun, it only has two coats of tru oil, so far. This is barbwire and vinegar. Not bad. Dilly
s5033744jg6.jpg

s5033739nh7.jpg

s5033740es8.jpg

s5033741ne0.jpg

s5033742yb9.jpg

s5033743oj6.jpg

Is your gun from a Traditions Kentucky kit? I got for Christmas as a gift and was wondering if you got a schemtaic with it? Not sure how to join the 2 stock parts together. PM me if you can with how you did it.

thanks

The gun itself looks very good. That reddish brown is from vinegar and barbwire!

Very nice

Yes. And only takes a little. I scraped the butt part becuase I got it to dark. I haven't done any thing to the barrel, just letting it rust by its self. Now this is just a cheap piece of wood. They say it is beachwood. Somebody did one with curly maple and I was real nice. Just cut up some rusty barbwire and cover with vinegar. Mine has been working for a year, still eating up the wire. Dilly

Well thats a pretty good finding.

Was the vinegar white or apple?

I made some stain with white vinegar and steel wool, turned the scrap piece of maple a funky blueish-grey.

I'll have to give it another whirl with the barbed wire and see if I can duplicate what you have done here.

I used white vinegar. When it got down I just added more. Mine had a bunch of sediments at bottom so I fished out the wire and put in new vinegar in another container and it is foaming good. My buddy said I could of stained my traps with the sediments, but I had dumped them out. Some of the wire in bottom wasn't eat up very much like the ones on top of sediment. I should have stirred it more I guess. Dilly

From the looks of things I would say you did everything right, sediment or not.

Thanks for the info.

There's 6 pictures in all. The boy put them on for me as he has camera and knows how. Sorry. The gun looks the same, no changes. Dilly

Now that's wierd earlier today all I could see was like every other pic there all showing now. Dang Gremlins! :rotf: :rotf:
Anyway I really like how that turned out Dilly. I got some stale coffe, white vinegar, and the ole square concrete nails coooking. Been working now about three months, every so often I skim the crud on top and looselys cap to let her work some more!

The Amish blacksmith said the barbwire was good becuase it contained carbon. This came off of this forum. I just shake the mixture to get rid of the foam on top. Let us know how yours turns out. Dilly

Latest posts

Back