• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lightening the color of a freshly stained stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Sikes

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before. So, I put a coat of Homer Dangler's dark stain on the Gemmer stock, and it is a bit darker than I would like. What is the best way to lighten it. It is an alcohol based stain. I will eventually be using Tru oil and so I'm sure that will darken even more.
Regards

thx for the responses. I went with some denatured alcohol and paper towels first. It actually worked great. I was even able to leave those areas dark which give it a more antiqued \ older appearance.

Here it is after lighting and adding a bit of charcoal black. No oil yet

Attachments

• 027A7493-81A8-49A7-9DD5-6F9CB66556EC.jpeg
    027A7493-81A8-49A7-9DD5-6F9CB66556EC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • B39A1C65-B8F1-42F0-A30D-13DC8F643538.jpeg
    B39A1C65-B8F1-42F0-A30D-13DC8F643538.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Stands to reason that every little bit of stain you get on that rag is that much less on the wood.

Latest posts

Back