• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Picture of Ball in Flight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr.piburn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to the range today. Wife was doing some pistol shootin and I wanted to try out the camera
on the "New" I-pad again. I shot some video and
went frame by frame and found the ball in flight.
Untitled67.jpg

Looks too large for a ball. And way low compared to target. Probably the patch, I think.

Sorry I posted. Had some more projects in mind
but not on this fourm. Believe ir or not, it IS
the ball. Last post.

It certainly looks like a ball in flight to me! ya'll need to get your eyes checked. Good shootin' Lucky!.

Once again, A person posts something that he thought might be neat and interesting and the critic's have to rain on their parade and chase them off!

I think it is the ball and the trajectory makes the ball look low! __ If the ball was that low at the distance of the target, you probably couldn't even see the ball...period! He said, that she was shooting a pistol, so maybe it was a revolver will a grease sealed ball!

Way ta go! :td:

I thought it was Elvis! Looks to uniform for a patch and the right color shape for a ball, I would have to bet heavily on the ball ...if it is proved not to be the King

I agree with you, I find this happens alot on this forum. I am on here about 6 nights a week reading all the stuff the EXPERTS write.

horner75 said:
Once again, A person posts something that he thought might be neat and interesting and the critic's have to rain on their parade and chase them off!

Way ta go! :td:

A general statement, nothing to do with this particular thread or participants.
This sort of thing does happen a lot here...no matter what activity it is...no matter how much time, money, and effort somebody has spent to then freely share the results with the community...there are always a handful who wade in uninvited making some sort of comments.

The absolute worst cases are when somebody posts photos of a brand new muzzleloader they've just proudly taken delivery of and the same handful of people start making unwelcome, unsolicited negative PC/HC type comments about it.

I really feel sorry for people whose lives have that sort of mentality and behavior at their core...its really pitiful.

them I PAD thingyss ain't PC/HC so this post most go.
seriously this is cool. the fact that the resolution is good enough to capture that frame is awesome. thanks for the share. did it make a hole in the target. hope it was in the 10 ring

I agree with you to a large extent, and I think that sort of thing happens too often, especially when the HC/PC question is raised. But.... there are also cases where what is presented is an interpretation of the poster, and that always introduces the possibility of mistakes. I remember another similar post in which a fellow showed what he interpreted as the shot column from a shotgun flying toward a clay bird. And it did indeed look like that could be. However, on blowing the picture up it became apparent it wasn't the shot column, at all, but something entirely different. No one was at fault, no one was out to deceive anyone, it was an honest misinterpretation. Is it totally out of bounds to raise the question?

This one could be the same. An iPad's frame rate is 30 per second, according to specs provided by Apple. That's not fast, only fast enough to create a smooth video, like a movie camera. It's equivalent to an exposure of 1/30 second with a still camera. If you are taking a family group photo at 1/30 second and Aunt Matilda turns her head as the shutter opens, her face will be blurred. That's called motion blur. I don't know the velocity of the supposed bullet in this post, but it's a heck of a lot faster than Aunt Matilda's face, and I have serious doubts it could be stopped in flight at 1/30-second as this one seems to be. Now, disclaimer, we don't know what the angle/direction of travel is, and I know for a personal fact that if a ball is traveling straight away from you in just the right light, you can see it fly. I've done it many times with a .58 ball at my local shooting range, where the light is occasionally just right. Also, you can greatly improve the capture and minimize motion blur if you track the moving object with the camera... panning, it's called. In panning, everything else in the picture has motion blur in the opposite direction because of the camera movement. No panning was done with this iPad, because the other objects in the picture are not blurred.

We only know that it was said to be a pistol ball... was that a patched ball? Was it loaded with a wad? He never said. Both would be traveling a lot slower and be easier to stop.

So, is it not legitimate to ask the question? If it is the ball, what harm is done? If it isn't, then I would presume even the original poster would want to know. He doesn't seem to want the question raised, though, so I may be wrong about that. Myself, I want everyone to question what I post. Only a few days ago I told a member that the rifle he posted pictures of had a Haddaway lock on it because it was identical to a Haddaway lock I have. Some else said both looked like Silers to him. I did some research and found that he was 100% correct. The locks were identical, alright, because I was mistaken in my own identification of my lock. For the last 39 years I had believed my lock was a Haddaway because I was told that as a rank beginner by one of the graybeards in the hobby. I'm tickled to have the truth about my lock. I now know what a real Haddaway lock looks like and that I don't, never had one. I've been educated, and that's what I think these forums should be all about, the sharing of knowledge, experience and skills in an attempt to educate ourselves. Can't do that if we can never question the teacher.

Here's the object blown up a bit. Maybe that will help answer the question. If the object is traveling up and to the left, along the direction of the elongation, it could be the ball... my interpretation.

Untitled67.jpg

I don't know about anyone else, but that old saw about believing none of what you read and only half of what you see has always worked for me. So, remember that when reading and seeing all this. :haha:

Spence

George said:
I agree with you to a large extent, and I think that sort of thing happens too often, especially when the HC/PC question is raised. But.... there are also cases where what is presented is an interpretation of the poster, and that always introduces the possibility of mistakes.

I distinguished my comment with the following qualifier:

"...A general statement, nothing to do with this particular thread or participants..."

To my untrained eye it looks like a round object with light on the upper right portion and the darker, shadowed areas showing up black. Kinda like we see the moon only in reverse. The shadows of the posts are oriented in the same direction.

GW

I think you're right on target, rb. I, myself, have been blessed with unsolicited HC/PC wisdom. IMHO, if the poster says it's a pic of a ball then it's up to the challengers to decide for themselves if, indeed, it is a ball or just a bumblebee. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back