• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pick and pan brush

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like to see some examples of DIY pan brushes and vent picks seems like a lot of money to by a commercial one when you could make one better looking and probably more sturdy.

Best pick I've ever made is a just a length of copper wire, sans insulation, 1/16" or so that I picked up off a construction site years ago and twisted around itself at the end to make a loop. Won't puncture anything if you fall on it nor will it ream out your touch hole over time.

All of my self-made kit is simple because that's the limit of my abilities. My pan set is proof of that. :wink:
I made the pick of iron wire cold forged and filed to a taper. The brush has pig bristles cut from a cheap Chinese paint brush. I bound them into a bundle and glued one end together so they would stay put, then enclosed them in a tube of rawhide laced together. The ring is a simple loop of wire stuck and glued into the end. They have both served me well for a lot of years.

Spence

In all reality, a piece of paperclip, rebar tie-wire or other wire is all you need. Made a pan brush long ago, but it only takes up space and serves no real purpose...

Black Hand said:
In all reality, a piece of paperclip, rebar tie-wire or other wire is all you need. Made a pan brush long ago, but it only takes up space and serves no real purpose...

I've always found a piece of cloth works much better than a brush.

Thumb is good. Here in the ozarks where the humidity is a little higher then the Rockies pan soot is kind of a goo that wouldn't respond well to a brush.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been using a cleaning patch for the pan and the pin in my nipple wrench. I think something bigger for a pick would be better. I like the copper wire idea. I'm a electrical substation tech so scrap wire isn't hard to find. That and cooper being softer won't mess up the vent hole.

Very similar to what I made Spence, really like it!

I used a cut down .45acp casing with the primer knocked out and a copper loop soldered in its place. Boars hair was secured with must I say... epoxy. :doh:

Sorry for the late reply,just saw your post.
This is my set.
flintlock%20tools_0006_edited-1_zps7xwkytrw.jpg
[/URL][/img]
(Pete)

I use a copper wire and it is fastened to the leather frizzen cover thong and is tied to my trigger guard.That way I don't have to go looking for my vent pick.I just wipe the pan on the bottom of my trade shirt.
Don

Just made another set of these........Ebony handles. Have also made the handles in ivory, antler, and horn. The pick doubles as a sewing awl and has a screw-on brass scabbard.

IMG_2451_zpsu0rxzerc.jpg

IMG_2452_zpsmvuif9ph.jpg

Back