• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CLOSED Wanted: Boar Bristles/hair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m looking for some boar bristles/ hair to make a few pan brushes. I’d like to offer a river cane powder measure or two of your chosen size in exchange. Thanks.

I’ve actually got a bunch of horse hair, I’m looking for something a little more abrasive.
I've made two brushes with horse hair. Trimmed to about 3/4", I find it about perfect for a breech brush, with plenty of abrasive action, and no deformation of the bristles. Use tail hair though - mane hair would be thinner and less durable.

Hello,
I’m looking for some boar bristles/ hair to make a few pan brushes. I’d like to offer a river cane powder measure or two of your chosen size in exchange. Thanks.
Sounds like TransYank might have you covered, but another alternative could be Moose Hair. I picked up a 4x4" patch from a Fly Fishing supply shop online, the hair cut down to about 1.5" is pretty stiff and the brush I made has lasted several years now. Folded over and not trimmed down it makes nice 'hair drops' too.

Go to harbor freight and buy their chip brushes. They are hog bristles. Cut off the tin shield and the bristles are long enough to make pan brushes. I made a dozen last winter using 32-20 cases shortened a bit. I epoxied the bristles in the case and soldered a wire with a loop bent on it to hook a chain with a brush on one and a vent pick on the other. The 32-20 cases I put in the lathe and turned off the rim and drilled out the primer hole for the wire to go through. I also flattened the wire end a bit so it won't pull through the enlarged primer hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back